Just For Fun - High-Def Digest Forums
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-12-2007, 05:15 AM
BluAngel's Avatar
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 380
Default Just For Fun

So I was like really bored the other day, and I decided to put my money where my mouth is. There's no denying that Disney is my favorite studio. Historically, they've released more movies that became my favorite than any other studio. But I wanted to prove it to myself. (And the opposite was true for Universal, which is why I say they're my least favorite studio. Plus, IMO, they do the dumbest things sometimes. Bring It On Again? What the freak was that?)

So, I decided to go through my movie collection, which consists of nearly 300 titles, to see just how true that statement was. I mean, if Disney was my favorite studio, and Universal my least favorite, then shouldn't the numbers show it?

And I made up some rules before I started counting. The first was that because Universal is HD exclusive, I would not count movies that I did not already have on DVD. The second was that all studios would be categorized by parent company. The third was that I would count movies only, not TV series or anything else that happened to be on DVD.

The categories are:
1. Sony - Sony Pictures, Columbia, TriStar
2. Lionsgate
3. Warner - Warner Bros., New Line Cinema
4. Paramount
5. Disney - Walt Disney Pictures, Buena Vista Entertainment, Pixar Animation Studios, Miramax, Touchstone, Dimension, and any other studio distributed by BVHE
6. Universal
7. MGM
8. Dreamworks
9. Fox - 20th Century Fox, Fox 2000 Pictures, Fox Searchlight Productions
10. Weinstein
11. Artisan Home Entertainment

So, out of my collection, I had 246 titles that I either still have on DVD or have had on DVD before being replaced by Blu-ray.

The numbers of movies I have from each studio, again Blu-ray notwithstanding, are as follows:
Sony - 27
Lionsgate - 4
Warner - 47
Paramount - 27
Disney - 66
Universal - 14
MGM - 12
Dreamworks - 15
20th Century Fox - 33
Weinstein - 1
Artisan Home Entertainment - 2

Now, this was a real eye-opener for me. In the first place, in case anybody's doing the math (if anybody's still reading this ), the total is 248. I recounted the total movies, Blu-ray notwithstanding, and the total was 246. I wasn't about to go through each studio again, so that gives my total a margin of error of +/-2. Which is pretty good.

Now, what I count as major studios are Disney, Fox, Warner, Sony, Paramount and Universal. Of all of the major studios, Universal came in at a pathetic 14. It was beaten by what I consider a minor studio, Dreamworks, and only 2 ahead of MGM. I was awed by Disney, which had the commanding lead of 66, and wowed by Warner, which came in second place at 47. I didn't know I had that many Warner titles. What's more amazing is that I always touted Fox as being my second-favorite studio. Since they came in third, does that mean that Warner is my second-favorite studio? (And were it not for the Star Wars series, it would have tied with Paramount and Sony...go figure. I know Fox doesn't own Lucasfilm or the rights to Star Wars, but they distributed it, which was why I attributed it to them as a major studio. Besides, if it wasn't for them, Star Wars would still be a pipe dream. There was no Lionsgate back then to run to, and every other major studio turned Lucas down.)

Anyway, it was just something to do, and was very interesting, to boot. I don't expect anybody else to do it, as it was very time-consuming, very tiring, and very frustrating not knowing how I got that margin of error.

And so, I said all of this to say (so this topic can be relative to this forum) that I chose right by going Blu. At least, I will have chosen right if Disney keeps up production.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-12-2007, 05:40 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 3,536
Thumbs up

I applaude this type of thinking.
The only movies I miss would be the Bourne Series in my collection.
But my Fav studio is Sony Warner Disney Fox
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-12-2007, 05:51 AM
Jared's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,033
Default

To me, this data is a bit erroneous. Disney is an enormous conglomerate, and you are including no less than 6 individual production companies within Disney. While I don't dispute this fact, I think that it simply points the simple likelihood that more of your films will fall under Disney than any other studio. This can be applied to all the other studios too. The larger the parent company, the more subdivisions it is likely to have, and naturally, it will have more films to its credit. These simple raw numbers will lead to the trends that you are noticing in your collection. By no means do I think these numbers lend any credence to your belief that Universal is your "least favorite studio."
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-12-2007, 04:31 PM
taygan315's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 7,536
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluAngel View Post
So I was like really bored the other day, and I decided to put my money where my mouth is. There's no denying that Disney is my favorite studio. Historically, they've released more movies that became my favorite than any other studio. But I wanted to prove it to myself. (And the opposite was true for Universal, which is why I say they're my least favorite studio. Plus, IMO, they do the dumbest things sometimes. Bring It On Again? What the freak was that?)

So, I decided to go through my movie collection, which consists of nearly 300 titles, to see just how true that statement was. I mean, if Disney was my favorite studio, and Universal my least favorite, then shouldn't the numbers show it?

And I made up some rules before I started counting. The first was that because Universal is HD exclusive, I would not count movies that I did not already have on DVD. The second was that all studios would be categorized by parent company. The third was that I would count movies only, not TV series or anything else that happened to be on DVD.

The categories are:
1. Sony - Sony Pictures, Columbia, TriStar
2. Lionsgate
3. Warner - Warner Bros., New Line Cinema
4. Paramount
5. Disney - Walt Disney Pictures, Buena Vista Entertainment, Pixar Animation Studios, Miramax, Touchstone, Dimension, and any other studio distributed by BVHE
6. Universal
7. MGM
8. Dreamworks
9. Fox - 20th Century Fox, Fox 2000 Pictures, Fox Searchlight Productions
10. Weinstein
11. Artisan Home Entertainment

So, out of my collection, I had 246 titles that I either still have on DVD or have had on DVD before being replaced by Blu-ray.

The numbers of movies I have from each studio, again Blu-ray notwithstanding, are as follows:
Sony - 27
Lionsgate - 4
Warner - 47
Paramount - 27
Disney - 66
Universal - 14
MGM - 12
Dreamworks - 15
20th Century Fox - 33
Weinstein - 1
Artisan Home Entertainment - 2

Now, this was a real eye-opener for me. In the first place, in case anybody's doing the math (if anybody's still reading this ), the total is 248. I recounted the total movies, Blu-ray notwithstanding, and the total was 246. I wasn't about to go through each studio again, so that gives my total a margin of error of +/-2. Which is pretty good.

Now, what I count as major studios are Disney, Fox, Warner, Sony, Paramount and Universal. Of all of the major studios, Universal came in at a pathetic 14. It was beaten by what I consider a minor studio, Dreamworks, and only 2 ahead of MGM. I was awed by Disney, which had the commanding lead of 66, and wowed by Warner, which came in second place at 47. I didn't know I had that many Warner titles. What's more amazing is that I always touted Fox as being my second-favorite studio. Since they came in third, does that mean that Warner is my second-favorite studio? (And were it not for the Star Wars series, it would have tied with Paramount and Sony...go figure. I know Fox doesn't own Lucasfilm or the rights to Star Wars, but they distributed it, which was why I attributed it to them as a major studio. Besides, if it wasn't for them, Star Wars would still be a pipe dream. There was no Lionsgate back then to run to, and every other major studio turned Lucas down.)

Anyway, it was just something to do, and was very interesting, to boot. I don't expect anybody else to do it, as it was very time-consuming, very tiring, and very frustrating not knowing how I got that margin of error.

And so, I said all of this to say (so this topic can be relative to this forum) that I chose right by going Blu. At least, I will have chosen right if Disney keeps up production.
I appericate the time you put in for this creative and intersting study of yours. But now, my brain hurts reading and making sense of all that (I attribute it to old age and lack of brain cells-so my wife tells me). Go watch a movie,lol
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-13-2007, 03:34 PM
BluAngel's Avatar
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 380
Default

Hooray! You guys did read this. And responded. Cool. And now, my rebuttals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared View Post
To me, this data is a bit erroneous. Disney is an enormous conglomerate, and you are including no less than 6 individual production companies within Disney.
I understand this, and believe me, I took this into consideration. But you must understand something; I'm very lazy. Categorizing each studio under parent/distribution company was the easy way to do it. And please note that Disney does own all of the companies in question, possibly except for the one studio that released "The Gospel of John..." That's the only title I have that was distribute by BVHE whose studio is possibly independent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared View Post
By no means do I think these numbers lend any credence to your belief that Universal is your "least favorite studio."
Why not? I mean, if I said that Universal was my least favorite studio, but I had, say, 70 of their titles, how would that reflect? Obviously, I would be lying. That is not to say that Universal hasn't had their moments. I thoroughly enjoy all of their titles that I possess...some, even more than others. I don't mean to take anything away from Universal...they contribute to the entertainment industry, and I do appreciate that. (I mean, Heroes is my favorite current TV show, replacing Law & Order: Special Victims Unit, which is now second. Both are NBC/Universal titles.) It's just that I dislike more of what they produce than what I like, and the ratio of dislikes vs. likes differ, sometimes greatly, compared to other studios. Overall, I just don't like Universal, and that's that. And there's nothing wrong with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vooswing View Post
I did a similar breakdown on my collection a while back...

http://forums.highdefdigest.com/showthread.php?t=3434
Cool. But I think yours is cooler than mine...at least you broke yours down by each individual studio. (Note to self: maybe I should consider doing this myself.)

But you screwed up. Ha! You put Blu-ray - Blue reversed! Nananananaaa! (Please excuse me...I just had to find something wrong with your much cooler list. )

Quote:
Originally Posted by taygan315 View Post
I appericate the time you put in for this creative and intersting study of yours. But now, my brain hurts reading and making sense of all that (I attribute it to old age and lack of brain cells-so my wife tells me). Go watch a movie,lol
Thank you. And I appreciate the time and effort you put into this creative and interesting response. If you think your brain hurts now, try doing what I did!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-13-2007, 04:54 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 265
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluAngel View Post
Hooray! You guys did read this. And responded. Cool. And now, my rebuttals.
So this whole post was for the sake of argument?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-17-2007, 09:20 PM
BluAngel's Avatar
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 380
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctornd View Post
So this whole post was for the sake of argument?
Um...no. That wouldn't make much sense, now would it? I just wanted to see what I had. That's all. And knowing what I have is fun. The actual counting wasn't much fun at all. Also, if I counted all of the Blu-ray titles that I never had on DVD, the numbers would just dwarf Universal even more.

Oh... Please don't get me started. Just thinking about counting all of those titles again is making my head spin!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
'Girls Just Want to Have Fun' is coming April 3 Landy Blu-ray Software General Discussion 3 02-03-2012 01:27 PM
The new AVATAR movie: More propoganda/rip-off film or just awesome, epic fun? RoadLizard The Water Cooler 25 12-19-2009 09:00 AM
Just For Fun - HDMI Hell! AV_Integrated Home Theater Gear 14 07-08-2009 03:30 PM
Just For Fun..... BobDiaz Blu-ray Software General Discussion 11 09-21-2008 02:51 AM
Ultimate Fanboy Quotes Thread - Just for fun harbor13 Gaming Smackdown 14 09-07-2007 11:24 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off