‘The Hannibal Lecter Collection’ - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-26-2009, 07:32 PM

Default ‘The Hannibal Lecter Collection’ - High-Def Digest Review

Nate has reviewed ‘The Hannibal Lecter Collection.’ This release is a mixed bag, with many films in the series excluded due to rights issues with other studios and producers. This set has two previously unreleased titles, but they feel like older HD versions that never hit store shelves. ‘Silence’ (which is available separately) is an upgrade over past DVDs, but not perfect. Read the reviews and see what you think. This is worth a look.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/2455...anthology.html
Old 10-26-2009, 07:39 PM

UGH!!!! I HATED 'Manhunter'

Now Nate, send me the set.
Old 10-26-2009, 07:49 PM

A 2 out of 5 for Manhunter. Nate!?! Dude! This review is so biased, I just can't take it serious. You're hatred for Michael Mann has clouded how you should critique the movie. Humbug!

walks away, head slouched, hands in pockets and kicking a rock.

Seriously though. That's cool, Manhunter isn't for everyone. Personally, I like it better than Hannibal Rising and see it as superior in certain areas to Red Dragon, particularly William Petersen is better as Will Graham than Norton. Mann also shows more style than Ratner. JMO, though.
Unfollow me at twitter: @MEnoisDuarte

Movies are so rarely great art that if we cannot appreciate great trash
we have very little reason to be interested in them.

~ Pauline Kael
Old 10-26-2009, 08:11 PM

How can you give a 2/5 for Manhunter? That film was so much better than Red Dragon.
Old 10-26-2009, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eNoize View Post
A 2 out of 5 for Manhunter. Nate!?! Dude! This review is so biased, I just can't take it serious. You're hatred for Michael Mann has clouded how you should critique the movie. Humbug!
Yeah, exactly! What bias writing. Manhunter accomplished exactly what it was trying to do: be a forgettable and dated 80's film that is light on scares and confuse you with awkward editing. If you can't pull your head out of your pompous ass and enjoy it on that level than you suck, and you should be fired and there shouldn't be any movie reviews on this site.

I'm just kidding! Actually though, I did really like Manhunter so I don't really agree with the review. I thought Tom Noonan was really creepy and unnerving, and I thought it was overall a better film than Ratner's Red Dragon.
Old 10-26-2009, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorheadache View Post
If you can't pull your head out of your pompous ass and enjoy it on that level than you suck, and you should be fired and there shouldn't be any movie reviews on this site.
That would make a nice sig...
Old 10-26-2009, 09:17 PM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eNoize View Post

walks away, head slouched, hands in pockets and kicking a rock.

Seriously though. That's cool, Manhunter isn't for everyone. Personally, I like it better than Hannibal Rising and see it as superior in certain areas to Red Dragon, particularly William Petersen is better as Will Graham than Norton. Mann also shows more style than Ratner. JMO, though.

Hannibal Rising is an absolute piece of shit. I liked Manhunter better than it, as well. I keep meaning to visit it for review, as we have all the other Hannibal films up, but I keep getting sidetracked with instant classics like Stan Helsing and Catwoman.

yeah.

Manhunter isn't for everyone. Red Dragon isn't GREAT by any means, it's not even really good, but it does a better job with pacing and building a coherent tale. that, and it doesn't date itself so horribly with fucking iron butterfly.
Old 10-26-2009, 10:17 PM

I'm sorry to hear "Hannibal" didn't get a better transfer. Come on, it's Ridley Scott doing Grand Guignol horror! What's not to like? The whole thing is so ridiculously operatic and over-the-top, you can't really judge it by the same standards as "Silence of the Lambs." It's a different kind of film altogether. And there's nobody but Ridley who could pull off this insane story with such obvious glee. (Well, maybe Joel Schumacher.) I watch the damn thing every time it pops up on TV.
Old 10-26-2009, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by project-blu View Post
Hannibal Rising is an absolute piece of shit. I liked Manhunter better than it, as well. I keep meaning to visit it for review, as we have all the other Hannibal films up, but I keep getting sidetracked with instant classics like Stan Helsing and Catwoman.

yeah.

Manhunter isn't for everyone. Red Dragon isn't GREAT by any means, it's not even really good, but it does a better job with pacing and building a coherent tale. that, and it doesn't date itself so horribly with fucking iron butterfly.
as much as i love michael mann and his stylish, stylish thrillers i agree that manhunter shouldnt have had as much style as mann's other 80s film thief because it didn't feel right for a hannibal movie. i saw manhunter and red dragon about a week apart and i prefer red dragon more but pretty much for the sole reason of the different ending. the ending of manhunter felt like an 80s music video, i couldn't believe all that tautness was built up (mann did indeed bring the tense effect to this like he did with all of his other thrillers) and we get THAT ending...but i think william peterson did a better job than ed norton but maybe it's just cuz i saw it first cuz and i felt like norton was just trying to copy peterson in red dragon. haven't seen hannibal yet but plan to soon, and lastly i agree that hannibal rising is indeed a complete and utter piece of shit.
Old 10-27-2009, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrunoBruin View Post
I'm sorry to hear "Hannibal" didn't get a better transfer. Come on, it's Ridley Scott doing Grand Guignol horror! What's not to like? The whole thing is so ridiculously operatic and over-the-top, you can't really judge it by the same standards as "Silence of the Lambs." It's a different kind of film altogether. And there's nobody but Ridley who could pull off this insane story with such obvious glee. (Well, maybe Joel Schumacher.) I watch the damn thing every time it pops up on TV.
Try the German release, perhaps. (for Hannibal)