'Contact' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-21-2009, 12:20 PM

Default 'Contact' - High-Def Digest Review

Josh has reviewed 'Contact.' He thinks it's a great film and a fine return to form for Zemeckis. (Josh, love to hear your thoughts on the motion capture path the guy has taken over the last decade.) This Blu-ray has very good video and audio and slight but interesting extras. Recommended.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/262/contact.html
Old 10-21-2009, 12:21 PM

No review yet.
Old 10-21-2009, 12:22 PM

It's there now.
Old 10-21-2009, 12:33 PM

The picture I found generally sharp, there were a couple of brief moments of softness, particularily one flyby shot of the crowd at Cape Canaveral when Jode first arrives. I did notice some color banding in the night sky background when Jodie and Matthew are talking outside by the Araciebo satellite.

To me the skin tones seemed to vary, sometimes having a kinda reddish color to them like you would see in faded film stock.

Audio-wise, I had to turn this up about 5 clicks over my normal and while there were moments of good extension, it's not on the level of today's soundtracks. I can't say that there was a lot of surround presence throughout the film but there are moments that are excellent.
Old 10-21-2009, 12:39 PM

This review was spot on. I do love the film, but I think it's just a bit overly sentimental and "Hollywoodized" compared to Sagan's book. It took a 10/10 concept and got about 8.5/10 out of it. Didn't like the music or the way the romance between Ellie and Palmer was done(little too cheesy/convenient). Still damn good.

PQ was very good as well. Very natural looking with no DNR or edge enhancement as far as I could see. Detail was good if a bit uneven. 4/5 is right where I'd put it.

I'd fully recommend this film to any science or sci-fi lover. It's far more thought provoking and intelligent than 99% of the sci-fi films I've seen, yet it's not spacey or initially inaccessible as, say, 2001 or Solarus.
Old 10-21-2009, 01:01 PM

Great review, Josh! You nailed it perfectly. 'Contact' is one my favorite Sci-Fi movies in the last couple of decades, as well.

I'm a huge Carl Sagan follower. From VHS tapes of his show "Cosmos" (which I grew up watching) to his books (fiction and nonfiction), he is highly respected scientist in my eyes!

Unfollow me at twitter: @MEnoisDuarte

Movies are so rarely great art that if we cannot appreciate great trash
we have very little reason to be interested in them.

~ Pauline Kael
Old 10-21-2009, 01:06 PM

Good movie, enjoyable but not something I'd rewatch mutlitple times to warrant a purchase. I'll definitely rent it. Maybe along with Forrest Gump.
Old 10-21-2009, 01:08 PM

Everyone has a right to their opinion, but I fail to see what is so appaling about Forrest Gump. It was a character that made you sympathize and root for him. An overall great movie that deserved every accolade it got.

The review for Contact was definetly spot on about it being an opposite of Forrest Gump. It was a major dissapointment with few accolades and lawsuits flying everywhere. Hence why it isn't remembered for anything more than a funny moment on South Park.
Old 10-21-2009, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktanner3 View Post
Hence why it isn't remembered for anything more than a funny moment on South Park.
If not winning an Oscar is considered forgotten, then yes youre right. Forrest Gump on the other hand has the distinction of being one of the least deserving wins in Oscar history, right next to Crash. In this scenario, Id rather be forgotten than remembered.
Old 10-21-2009, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktanner3 View Post
Everyone has a right to their opinion, but I fail to see what is so appaling about Forrest Gump. It was a character that made you sympathize and root for him.
Not me. I kept waiting for the happy ending where he'd be taken out and shot repeatedly in the face, once for every time he said "Stupid is as stupid does." Never happened, unfortunately.
My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.