10/20 Big Anime Day! 3 Titles out now. - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-20-2009, 03:54 PM

Default 10/20 Big Anime Day! 3 Titles out now.

Went to pick up Escaflowne The Movie since it came out today at BB. To my welcome surprise they had Ghost in the Shell 2.0 and Blood The Last Vampire (anime not the live action movie) come out today as well. GitS 2.0 and Escaflowne are double dips but i had to have them even if lacking the extras. Price was 19.99 for GitS and Blood; 34.99 for Escaflowne. Hope more people support US releases of anime otherwise I'll have to become fluent in Japanese and pay $60 + for mine. Here's a review and video preview of Escaflowne The Movie from Chris Beveridge. http://www.mania.com/escaflowne-movi...le_116118.html
Please, even if not interested check out the link I think you'll like the review at least if not the preview.
Old 10-20-2009, 04:12 PM
Former Member

Max, i'm going to have my girl go out and see if my local BB has Ghost in the Shell 2.0. if it does, review will ensue. if it don't, review will have to wait.

thanks for reminding me.

escaflowne is much cheaper at amazon, but that's not an urgency to me, as i found it to be a much lesser film. will buy blood sometime down the line.
Old 10-20-2009, 05:29 PM

Go for it! Escaflowne, like I posted earlier, was the main draw. I actually prefer the Ghost in the Shell tv series as well as the Escaflowne tv series instead of their respective movies. The Ghost in the Shell 2.0 details on the back are a little deceptive, the back states The Making of Ghost in the Shell 2.0 however it's the original making of included in the VHS and DVD versions. I couldn't find the Commentary or Face to Face interview however there were some other extras not listed Trailer, Bios, Character Profiles and Glossary. The biggest extra not listed was the original movie, which I'm glad they included. I don't mind paying a little extra since I go to BB and always come out with some stuff I didn't even know was out like the GitS and Blood The Last Vampire blurays, wish I took home one of the TVs though. There were many copies of Blood and GitS however there were alot less of Escaflowne, if that can encourage anyone to especially pick up that title.
Old 10-20-2009, 06:19 PM

I'm not supporting catalog anime movies for $35, Bandai needs to get their shit straight.
Old 10-20-2009, 07:22 PM

Canceled my pre-orders for GitS and Blood...just couldn't afford to double dip.

However, thanks for the heads up on Escaflowne! Got it from amazon for a rather cheap price.
Old 10-20-2009, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlaughterX View Post
I'm not supporting catalog anime movies for $35, Bandai needs to get their shit straight.
I can certainly see your point however I've been used to paying premium for anime since VHS days. It's still cheaper than the $85.09 for the Blu-ray from Japan. Japan has always charged more for anime content and if you look around you will find a deal on this release. On a side note Japan has outlawed reverse importation of their content. Not necessarily a correlation but we reap the benefits with lower costing discs. BTW here's the link to the Japanese release, they always get better covers, http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=BCXA-18

Just to let everyone know the GitS 2.0 has the original version in Japanese and English 2.0 on the same disc in the extras menu.

Last edited by MaxSteling; 10-20-2009 at 09:09 PM.
Old 10-20-2009, 07:45 PM

man, blu-ray for anime in the States has been lacking. i might just import even if there's no subs
Old 10-20-2009, 08:14 PM

I'd rather not buy these versions. Too often Anime gets watered down in translations here. You can't trust American companies and even the Japanese not to tend to water down stuff to avoid adults not buying your stuff or selling to children as well(Dragon Ball and One Piece).
Old 10-20-2009, 10:07 PM

I was at Best Buy Today and saw Ghost in the shell 2.0 I was not aware that it wasnt even supposed to be out yet. it was $19.99 ill have to go back and check out and see if Blood the Last vampire is out at my Best buy if so I will pick both up and when i get my next check i may pick up Escanflowne from amazon
Old 10-21-2009, 07:51 AM

I've got the UK releases of GiTS2.0 and Blood preordered, but thanks for the heads up on Escaflowne, think i'll order that from amazon.com