How long will we have to wait. - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-08-2009, 02:32 AM

Default How long will we have to wait.

Hi all

I have noticed time and time again with catalogue Blu-Ray releases, film companies using old out of date masters to mint the High Definition versions. There are ofcourse a few exceptions to that though (Wizard of OZ, Blade Runner, The Warriors etc) Though despite these exceptions the older movies are not getting the pristine transfer they deserve. A few on my list are.

Rocky
Ghostbusters
The Goonies
The Fugitive
The Sixth Sense
First Blood
Rambo 2 and 3

There are others i refuse to even purchase due to how badly these movies were slated in their reviews. It concerns me that we will have to wait years until we get a Blu-Ray transfer that can do these movies justice.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this issue?
Old 10-08-2009, 02:38 AM

My guess is they just feel that they can rush out a product now instead of waiting. That way they can get the product out there ASAP pretty much and see how it sells (thinking about the future) and make money in the meantime. Then once they think it is worth it, they go ahead with the super deluxe edition. It has a hologram cover. A few years after that comes the super duper deluxe edition (same exact transfer, two SD "making of" docs that amount to 4 minutes total and an awesome new slip cover). Then once you have that, they shove the 18th anniversary down your throat like it really means something. The cover is still a hologram but this time there is a really snazzy banner on top. 50 years later, we get the overpriced BOX with the remastered version and a really cool watch and/or hat. It's totally worth it and I don't see why on earth you are complaining.
Old 10-08-2009, 02:57 AM

I can't answer on all of those, except that I though a number of those got good or decent review all things considered. But I am 99% sure that Ghostbusters was a new remastering or something.
Old 10-08-2009, 07:31 AM

I watched the Blu-Ray version of The Goonies last weekend and the menu screen was a still image taken from the movie with a few extras that were clearly taken from a special edition released in 2001. The actors commentary let that slip. The picture quality was the best i have seen it but im sure much more can be done.

I can understand the financial benefits of multiple releases of a movie but at the same there are people like me who prefer the oldies and wouldnt make the transition to Blu-Ray unless the classics were released with a significant upgrade in PQ and AQ.
Old 10-08-2009, 12:23 PM

I have that UK version of the goonies too. It's good enough that I won't be jumping at the chance to get the US one when it comes out.
Old 10-08-2009, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSmith View Post
I have noticed time and time again with catalogue Blu-Ray releases, film companies using old out of date masters to mint the High Definition versions.
Well first of all its important to understand the difference between film quality and transfer quality. There are going to be quite a few films on BD now and in the future that faithfully represent their original film sources. And when the original source footage is not particularly good looking....
Old 10-08-2009, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonBidinger View Post
I can't answer on all of those, except that I though a number of those got good or decent review all things considered. But I am 99% sure that Ghostbusters was a new remastering or something.
On Ghostbusters they used the terrible '05 master but digitally tweaked it to a more acceptable quality. I've heard it looks generally acceptable (Reitman himself was OK with it) but it would look much better with a full-on remaster.
Old 10-08-2009, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philnerd View Post
Well first of all its important to understand the difference between film quality and transfer quality. There are going to be quite a few films on BD now and in the future that faithfully represent their original film sources. And when the original source footage is not particularly good looking....
But surely that's where the whole remastering/restoration thing comes into play? If they'd just yanked the original elements of Oz out of storage & struck the BD transfer from that, would it have been more faithful?

I think it comes down to studio laziness/penny pinching, if 2001/Oz/et al display that even old films can look pristine (despite the presumably shoddy state of the original source material by now), then what's the excuse for sub-par transfers of newer films? Studios not giving a damn is the only thing that makes sense to me.
Old 10-08-2009, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holsty101 View Post
But surely that's where the whole remastering/restoration thing comes into play? If they'd just yanked the original elements of Oz out of storage & struck the BD transfer from that, would it have been more faithful?

I think it comes down to studio laziness/penny pinching, if 2001/Oz/et al display that even old films can look pristine (despite the presumably shoddy state of the original source material by now), then what's the excuse for sub-par transfers of newer films? Studios not giving a damn is the only thing that makes sense to me.
One thing you have to understand is that not all films are meant to look pristine. Choices made by the directors, such as film stock and lighting, lead to different films looking, well... different!! Not all films will, NOR SHOULD THEY, look 'perfect' in 1080p, because they were not made that way. Blu-ray should try to best replicate how the film looked during its initial theatrical presentation!
Old 10-09-2009, 02:21 AM

I can understand that movies can be made to look a certain way by choice of film stock and any post production video and audio tweaking. That doesnt explain why some of these movies are so inconsistent throughout. I noticed varying levels of sharpness is some movies.

I think it just comes down to how much time and money the movie executives want to spend on producing a high quality remaster.

At this early stage of Blu-Ray they want to milk their movie franchises for everything they can. If they gave us what we want right away, they will have nowhere else to go with these titles until the next HD format becomes available to the mass market.

It just p*sses me off!!!!