'Star Trek: The Original Series - Season 2' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-07-2009, 12:15 PM

Default 'Star Trek: The Original Series - Season 2' - High-Def Digest Review

Josh has reviewed Season 2. He says the stories are a bit more uneven on this one, as is the video, but we're still looking at a pretty great presentation that comes highly recommended.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/2560...rektos_s2.html
Old 10-07-2009, 12:42 PM

I still haven't finished watching the first season, but I picked up Season 2 at a good price. Can't wait to watch some more Trek.
Old 10-07-2009, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastx View Post
I still haven't finished watching the first season, but I picked up Season 2 at a good price. Can't wait to watch some more Trek.
I too am not finished watching season one yet, but it's good to see that they didn't half-ass season two.
Old 10-07-2009, 01:23 PM

very nice review!
kind of a shame they couldn't have done something to improve the clarity of the old effects, as I can't watch the "new" stuff.
It just takes me right out of a show from the 60's.
can't wait to get all 3 seasons.
my budget is a little shot right now, and so I had to pass on all the "new" ST releases of 2 weeks ago.
hopefully by X-mas.
Old 10-07-2009, 01:27 PM

Personally I prefer the updated FX. Anyway I'm happy to read this, I hope to pick this up soon.
Old 10-07-2009, 01:30 PM

they did a very nice job with the new effects, but I just have to feel like I'm watching the show I grew up watching.
the cheesy effects are a key part of the whole ST experience for me.
I am just so happy that Paramount did the right thing and included them on the bd sets.
It really would have been a tragedy had they not.
Old 10-07-2009, 01:33 PM

I can respect that point of view, while I don't personally agree with it. For me, as long as you don't chage what happend in the show (Han shot first!...or did he?? ). If all you do is make it look the way they wanted it to look to start with (as attested by the SFX crew interviewed) then I'm cool.
Old 10-07-2009, 01:38 PM

Default Star Trek S3 and Mobil Blu

The coolest feature here is Content to Go! Whether it is exclusive or everything on the discs, the idea of portable media to wireless devices as a value add to people who actually spent the money is frickin cool. Why dont any of the other studios have Mobile Blu?
Old 10-07-2009, 01:38 PM

Yeah, if the cheesiness of the old effects brought pleasure to you, then cool. But I derive far more pleasure from the stories and acting, which haven't changed a bit. Enhancing the effects just makes the story more immersive.
Old 10-07-2009, 01:43 PM

for me, it's really about keeping the show rooted in the time it was made.
Now, of course, the show has proven to be timeless, but I just prefer to experience the original piece of art.
For people that like the "new" effects I have no problem.
That's what is so great about this set--we have both, and can choose which we prefer.
As long as both options are included all is good.
But if the "original" effects had been totally lost to history that would have been a terrible loss.
just like the fact the we will NEVER see the "original" "Star Wars" on bd.
It is a real travesty that the "real" movie is basically lost forever except for a crappy laserdisc transfer.
thank god ST didn't meet a similar fate.