'The Final Countdown' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-01-2009, 08:00 PM

Default 'The Final Countdown' - High-Def Digest Review

Nate has reviewed 'The Final Countdown.' He says this is a great film that must be added to any great HD sci-fi collection. This Blu-ray has some problems, with mediocre video, slightly better audio, and some great supplements. Worth a look. Fans, go get it!

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/1635...countdown.html
Old 10-01-2009, 09:08 PM

lol, only just under a year late. I take it blue underground isn't fond of screeners?
Old 10-01-2009, 09:21 PM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z0d View Post
lol, only just under a year late. I take it blue underground isn't fond of screeners?
actually, no. i don't want to go into full detail there, but this screener WAS supplied by Blue Underground quite recently. they have also sent in some other titles as well. this is just the first one to get published, fitting since it's their first title. you can expect a review of one of their horror titles from me very soon.

and late, yeah, i know...but on the bright side, it's up, and that's what counts to me.
Old 10-01-2009, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by project-blu View Post
actually, no. i don't want to go into full detail there, but this screener WAS supplied by Blue Underground quite recently. they have also sent in some other titles as well. this is just the first one to get published, fitting since it's their first title. you can expect a review of one of their horror titles from me very soon.

and late, yeah, i know...but on the bright side, it's up, and that's what counts to me.
Definately. Besides, I've had this the whole year and I haven't gotten around to it, so yeah. Lookin forward to the next one.
Old 10-01-2009, 11:15 PM
Former Member

(and me too. hopefully it will fit in my weekend schedule)
Old 10-03-2009, 12:30 AM

Can't decide if this is a blind buy for me or not with the video quality from the review. Love the premise though. I've always thought about what it would be like to have present technology in past events.
Old 10-03-2009, 12:38 AM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kghoops View Post
Can't decide if this is a blind buy for me or not with the video quality from the review. Love the premise though. I've always thought about what it would be like to have present technology in past events.
if you have those thoughts, KG, i'd buy it. the film DOES ponder those questions a few times. the PQ isn't the best, but we're talking about a pretty great film here. at least rent it.
Old 10-05-2009, 09:50 AM

This is an old favorite of mine, if I'd seen it on a shelf I probably would have picked it up. Now that the review has reminded me, I may just have to order this one. I'm not surprised that PQ isn't that great, but I like the story and acting enough to put up with it, I think. I really like their treatment of time travel in this movie, even compared to a lot of books.
Old 10-05-2009, 11:40 AM

I have the DVD already and I want the BD, but I can't find it anywhere for less than $20. I just don't think that the average VQ and AQ warrant a $20 purchase. Maybe it will get down around $10-15 in the near future.
Old 10-12-2009, 10:53 PM

I never heard of this movie before, and I blind bought it after I saw the review on this site. What a hidden gem of a movie this turned out to be for me. The premise itself is fantastic, the movie takes itself very seriously, and it is very thought provoking at times. I found the scenes where the crew stumbles upon Senator Chapman, and the consequences of that to be truly fascinating.

The attention to detail in this movie is absolutely stunning as well. From the fly over of Pearl Harbor in the beginning, to the (I'm assuming) accurate depiction of Navy life, to the use of 40s radio broadcasts and 40s Japanese planes....it was all just very stunning to see a tiny sci-fi movie like this pay so much attention to detail. Plus, you got Kirk Douglas and Martin Sheen who are always great...

This is a much watch for everyone, and I'm glad to have this film in my collection. Thank You to this site for pointing me in the direction of this movie!