PAL (UK) or NTSC (U.S) Versions of Rambo films? Which is better? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-19-2009, 06:56 PM

Default PAL (UK) or NTSC (U.S) Versions of Rambo films? Which is better?

I want to buy up the entire collection of Rambo movies in Bluray but not sure whether to go for the UK or US versions.

Is there any difference between them in terms of quality or on anything being cut out/edited or any more extras on one than the other?

I must admit I much prefer the US box art.
Old 09-19-2009, 07:17 PM

The UK First Blood has a DTS-MA track and the PQ is slightly better than the US version. Though the extras are PAL so they wont play on US players. Some places have it listed as B locked. When the the list of countries pops up just pick Australia and it should play on a US player
Old 09-20-2009, 11:58 AM

First Blood's image quality is pretty bad no matter where you buy it from. That has nothing to do with it being a low budget film and everything to do with an old outdated master being used around the world.

Rambo 3 has a few cuts to a horse fall scene which was considered dangerous in the UK and prohibited by law thus cut from the film.

The American editions of Rambo First Blood Part 2 and Rambo 3 are decent especially Rambo 3 and the Lionsgate edition of the fourth movie is superior to the UK edition as regards image quality and sound quality.

Personally if i was you i would purchase the American editions of all the movies except First Blood. Try and pick up the UK edition of First Blood which is slightly better than the American release but only slightly and still miles worse than it could be if only they were to strike a new master from a good print.
Old 09-20-2009, 03:43 PM

Thumbs up

The UK versions have the original poster artwork
Old 09-20-2009, 11:31 PM

wasn't the US Rambo trilogy around for like $17? I Don't think you can beat that.

I have the UK HD DVDs of the Rambo trilogy and the PQ was very good. First Blood is an older lower budget film, but looks great in HD. The Blu and HD versions I compared were very close.

Now I wasn't aware that the Blu US and Uk editions had differences except for the studios. but I doubt unless you are areal Rambo connoisseur that you be disappointed in the US release.

I also think you get the best goodies with the US version. But I could be wrong.
Old 09-23-2009, 04:00 PM

Despite the negative reviews from some forums, the USA Lionsgate First Blood disc is excellent: in HD the movie comes alive like never before on previous home video formats. The difference in pq with the UK release is negligible, but the commentary by author David Morrell on the USA disc is worth the price alone.