'Fringe: The Complete First Season' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-13-2009, 07:53 PM

Default 'Fringe: The Complete First Season' - High-Def Digest Review

Drew has reviewed 'Fringe: The Complete First Season.' He says the show starts out a little bumpy, but soon develops into a smart sci-fi series. This Blu-ray has strong video, sort of weak audio, and disappointing extras. Still, this is recommended.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/2456/fringe_s1.html
Old 09-13-2009, 08:02 PM

Didn't care for the pilot, but I keep hearing it gets a lot better, so I might check it out.
Old 09-13-2009, 08:17 PM

Quote:
'Fringe' is a beautiful-looking show and it doesn't look any better than on these 1080 p/VC-1 encoded transfers (1.78: 1 aspect ratio) on five 50GB discs. These discs are also region-free.

Look no further than the extra-long pilot episode, which packs more visual punch than most mainstream Hollywood movies, and involves human beings melting in an airplane, lightning zigzagging across the sky, arctic blasts of snow, a haunted mental institution, make-up and visual effects galore, and a wonderfully dynamic car chase, everything rendered in exceeding clarity.

Detail on these discs is outstanding - from the red brick and rusty machines of Walter's abandoned Harvard lab to the chrome on a bank vault where some inventive thieves are literally walking through the walls. Definition is good, textures look great, skin tones are solid, and all this despite some grain and apparent contrast boosting. These technical issues are minor (there's also some edge enhancement here and there), and never distracting from the overall visual majesty and complexity of the series.

The aforementioned final shot of the season is even more jaw-dropping thanks to this transfer. Just watch it, already!
after all that praise, only 3 1/2 stars for the PQ?
Old 09-13-2009, 08:20 PM

Yeah, just gonna post that, I gotta agree with Lik. The text doesn't match the score there. It reads more like a 4.5.
Old 09-13-2009, 08:25 PM
Former Member

haven't had the chance to read the review yet (busy!), but Mr. Drew's star ratings are pretty spot on here, and within a 1/2 star here or there (which isn't much different, honestly), i'm in full agreement with him on that front. will give 'er a read tonite!
Old 09-13-2009, 08:28 PM
Banned

The show picks up about 10-12 episodes in.
Old 09-13-2009, 08:36 PM
Former Member

I thought it picked back up at Episode 9, Brad. Disc 3 was loaded with AWESOME.
Old 09-13-2009, 09:22 PM

I saw only the first five or six episodes when they were broadcast and only one of them seemed weak IMO. I'll definitely be getting this box set but may wait for a better price.
Old 09-13-2009, 09:52 PM

I watched a few episodes online at the recommendation of a friend and was fairly intrigued -- enough so to buy the series on DVD. I'm a huge fan of the X-Files (at least up to season 5 or 6) so it's nice to see a solid show operating from essentially the same premise: agents of the federal government assigned to investigate 'actual' paranormal phenomena. Of course the X-Files was somewhat easier to invest in from show to show as the setup was almost invariably Scully, Mulder, and the event/occurrence/manifestation. The major continuous storyline (initially) was the global black-hat organization facilitating a rather involved plan for alien colonization. This often came across as almost incidental since many or most of the episodes were meant to be viewed independently.
Fringe introduces three main characters with a naturally more complex dynamic, and the major continuous storyline is the carrot-on-a-stick "Pattern" which is another delightful/annoying way of saying "the decreasingly cryptic backbone of the overarching plot". Few if any of the episodes do not relate directly to the Pattern. This more contemporary(?) approach to continuity in a show is what it is: occasionally tedious--("I don't care about the stupid Pattern. Show me some goddamn fringe science!")--but perhaps more rewarding in the long run. The friend who introduced me to the show is a fan of continuous/long-term storylines whereas I tend to go for instant gratification.
The show has potential. Like the X-Files, a big part of its relative success from episode to episode has to do with the execution/staging/screenplay of the paranormal events. The best episodes of the X-Files took relatively simple ideas (e.g. the angsty teen who controls lightning) and turned them into dramatic, engrossing, and strangely plausible first acts. Differences notwithstanding, Fringe does the same thing. Of course it's still in its first season so we'll see what happens next. And fascinating though it may be, the Pattern hopefully will maintain its proper balance with the fringe events we all want to see..
Old 09-13-2009, 10:26 PM

Yeah I came here to ask what's up with the star rating. I'd say it's probably 3-3 1/2 as the review did, but the description makes it sound like 4 1/2.