Blu-ray three years old/when DVD was three years old - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 08-08-2009, 09:57 AM
Banned

Default Blu-ray three years old/when DVD was three years old

I find it strange that the heavy hitters like Jaws, Indiana Jones, Titanic, Fight Club, True Lies, Saving Private Ryan, and Road to Perdition are not on Blu-ray now that the format is three years old.

Will they be coming to Blu-ray in 2009?

My second question is, where those titles released on DVD when DVD was three years old?
Old 08-08-2009, 10:55 AM

Road to Perdtion was not even out in theaters when DVD was three years old.

Fight Club (available on Blu-ray in Germany and set to be releases stateside in November) hit theaters in 1999 (when DVD turned 3) and hit DVD as a "New Release" in 2000.

Titanic came out in late 1997 and hit DVD as a "New Release" in 1999.

Jaws waited until its 25th Anniversary to be released on DVD in 2000.

Indiana Jones was not released on DVD until 2003.

Saving Private Ryan was released in 1999 as a "New Release".

Based on the titles you listed it is hard to make an accurate comparison since many were not catalog releases like they are now, so naturally they were released on DVD by the 3rd year mark. We had to wait for the $pielberg stuff as long as it wasn't a new release, much like it seems we do on Blu-ray. Excepting Close Encounters, which was not released on DVD until 2001, being ahead of its DVD pace. The only $pielberg new release unfortunately during the Blu-ray lifespan has been the craptastic Crystal Skull.
Old 08-08-2009, 12:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BambooLounge View Post
Road to Perdtion was not even out in theaters when DVD was three years old.

Fight Club (available on Blu-ray in Germany and set to be releases stateside in November) hit theaters in 1999 (when DVD turned 3) and hit DVD as a "New Release" in 2000.

Titanic came out in late 1997 and hit DVD as a "New Release" in 1999.

Jaws waited until its 25th Anniversary to be released on DVD in 2000.

Indiana Jones was not released on DVD until 2003.

Saving Private Ryan was released in 1999 as a "New Release".

Based on the titles you listed it is hard to make an accurate comparison since many were not catalog releases like they are now, so naturally they were released on DVD by the 3rd year mark. We had to wait for the $pielberg stuff as long as it wasn't a new release, much like it seems we do on Blu-ray. Excepting Close Encounters, which was not released on DVD until 2001, being ahead of its DVD pace. The only $pielberg new release unfortunately during the Blu-ray lifespan has been the craptastic Crystal Skull.
Right. Of course I wasnt even thinking of the fact that most of those titles were not catalog titles yet.

I guess I should have written/asked, "Since the launch of DVD, did it take big catalog titles three years to be released on the format?"
Old 08-08-2009, 01:15 PM

Well its only been 1.5 years since that other (now obsolete) HD format went away so in some ways the timer on these things may need to be relative to that. In many cases I think studios were reluctant to put out releases while there was still confusion on what the standard HD format would be.

I think they have done a decent job so far with releases but I expect in the next 18 months that almost all big titles will be out on Blu-ray.
Old 08-08-2009, 01:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo976 View Post
Well its only been 1.5 years since that other (now obsolete) HD format went away so in some ways the timer on these things may need to be relative to that. In many cases I think studios were reluctant to put out releases while there was still confusion on what the standard HD format would be.

I think they have done a decent job so far with releases but I expect in the next 18 months that almost all big titles will be out on Blu-ray.
Don't forget - DVD did not have full studio support in 1997 either?. People seem to forget Divx existed and some studios were exclusive to that.
Old 08-08-2009, 07:11 PM

I remember watching Titanic on VHS when it first came out and they had to split the movie up on 2 VHS tapes.
Old 08-08-2009, 08:28 PM

I think if you go back and look at Digital Bits announcements for 2000, you'll see many of the same titles as you see out on BR. I think DVD had more of these recent catalog and classics out. Heck, even Criterion was in the 80s-90s in terms of Spine numbers at this point in SD DVD's timeline.

SD DVDs numbers were inflated, I think, by things like single disc volumes for Star Trek, Monty Python, South Park, and Twilight Zones episodes. You'd have 2-4 episodes on a disc consider a release. Now, that no longer flies as it's all season or multi-disc sets. For instance, Twilight Zone saw the release of volumes 34 & 35 around this point.

For reference, August 2000 titles mentioned for SD DVD on Digital Bits --
Gilda (1946)
Donnie Brasco
Bridge over River Kwai
Perfect Storm
North by Northwest
Braveheart
Mission Impossible II
Phantom of the Opera (1943)
Escape from New York
Return to Me
Never Say Never Again
The Bounty
Class
Code of Silence
Malice
Ultimate Scream Collection
Edward Scissorhands
Hellraiser: Inferno
Keeping the Faith
Shanghai Noon
Center Stage
Heavy Metal 2000
Legends of the Fall
Patriot
Born of the Forth of July
Pitch Black
Skulls
U-571
Three Kings
Invisible Man (1958)
Leon: The Professional
The Big Blue
Space: 1999
Star Trek: TNG
X-Files: Season Two
Lady from Shanghai (1947)
Time Code
The Blob: CC
Sister: CC
Kwaidan: CC
Brother's McMullen
She's the One
Where the Heart Is
The Killer (Fox Lorber)
Hard Boiled (Fox Lorber)
Reindeer Games
Jurassic Park
JP 2: Lost World
Repo Man
Ride with the Devil
Toy Story/Toy Story 2 - Twin Pack
Somewhere in Time
Touch of Evil (1958)
Boogie Nights: Platinum
Final Destination
The Arrival
Fantasia/Fantasia 2000
The Conversation
Planes, Trains , and Automobiles
Seven: Platinum
Gettyburgh
Annie Get Your Gun (1950)
Quadrophenia
Time Machine (1960)

Last edited by comixguru; 08-08-2009 at 08:53 PM.
Old 08-09-2009, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psickmusic View Post
I guess I should have written/asked, "Since the launch of DVD, did it take big catalog titles three years to be released on the format?"
The answer would be yes, it did.