'Battlestar Galactica: Season 4.5' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 08-07-2009, 02:24 PM

Default 'Battlestar Galactica: Season 4.5' - High-Def Digest Review

Jeff Shannon has reviewed 'Battlestar Galactica: Season 4.5.' He says the series set a new bar for the genre, and this final season ties up a lot of story threads quite admirably. This Blu-ray features stellar video and sound and some great extras. Buy it!

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/2329...ctica_s45.html
Old 08-07-2009, 02:30 PM

Hmmm, no mention of grain which is odd to me... I guess "gritty" might be a euphimism... I hope it's not DNRed or anything like that... Oh well, waiting on my blurays still
Old 08-07-2009, 03:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazzeto View Post
Hmmm, no mention of grain which is odd to me... I guess "gritty" might be a euphimism... I hope it's not DNRed or anything like that... Oh well, waiting on my blurays still
If anything, the word at places like this forum and AVS are that the BDs are too grainy, so surely no DNR worries here...
Old 08-07-2009, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazzeto View Post
Craz, You've got nothing to worry about there based on the complete set discs
Old 08-07-2009, 04:42 PM

I just finished disc 1..I can tell you it is very dark , grainy and over saturated in colors......compared to the hd dvd set of season one I just finished watching ..the blu ray pales in comparison as far as video quality..it is very much like the mini series which was weak in video compared to the rest of season one...the audio is very good..dts master hd...hopefully disc 2 will look better but i doubt it...disc one had it moments in hd....but those were few and far between...looks to me like someone made this darker and grainier than how it was in HD on tv....perhaps too much dirt was added to these discs as compared to it's original presentation....it should look better, but doesn't
Old 08-07-2009, 05:23 PM

I'm glad this isn't processed then, BSG needs it's rough cut feel!
Old 08-07-2009, 05:48 PM

Craz,

It doesn't look like it to me. The grain/grit seems to lighten up as the seasons progress, but if memory serves this was the case in broadcast as well.
Old 08-07-2009, 05:51 PM

I was really afraid that Uni would cave to the unfairly bad reviews the HD DVD set got and DNR this... You guys are really making me feel good about this. I was going to buy it anyway, but at least now I know I really am getting exactly what I was hoping I would get.
Old 08-07-2009, 06:01 PM

I think so Craz-I had the same fears until we watched a few discs.
Old 08-07-2009, 06:06 PM

I don't understand Universal's logic to release JUST Season 4.5 separately. Not that I wouldn't want the full series set, the all or "just this bit" approach is aggravating to a casual fan like me. I would rather be able to buy each season separately, over time. As it stands now, I'm just going to wait for a major holiday or a sale to help Justify the big box set purchase.

As it is, I don't see who would want to buy JUST this without some sort if promise that the rest of the series will be released separately later on.