'Scoop' (French Import) - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 08-06-2009, 08:58 PM

Default 'Scoop' (French Import) - High-Def Digest Review

Nate has reviewed 'Scoop' (French Import). He's an Allen fan and says this is a fun, light comedy, but not up to the level of some of his recent greats. (Editor's Note - Allen films are always better the second time around, so if you've seen this one, it's probably worth another look). This Blu-ray features dazzling video, the usual Allen audio (You know what that means), no extras, and a bizarre region coding situation. This is a risky import for all but the most die hard fan.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/2610/scoopimport.html
Old 08-07-2009, 03:14 AM
Banned

Default Do Not Buy This Piece Of Shit!

OMFG!!!
Mono? You've got to be kidding me? He can go for a visually delightful 1080p but can't do the same for sound? Give me a break! That hypocrite is full of shit.
Old 08-07-2009, 03:23 AM
Always SpartanJohnson

Just because everything isn't 7.1 doesn't make it bad.
Old 08-07-2009, 03:38 AM
Former Member

The review states pretty damn clearly how the man (the LEGEND) has earned the right to make films his way, and you're clearly pushing a false view on others with a post title like "do not buy this piece of shit."

Would you like to condemn Wages of Fear, or The Third Man, while you're at it? Neither of those feature souped up sound mixes, yet both sound fantastic. In fact, the studio that has released those features are often applauded for presenting the film the way IT WAS INTENDED. Since true film fans won't watch a film in a dub track (hence why it doesn't matter if there is no lossless Spanish mix on a Blu-ray for a film whose native language is English), they are also less than likely to watch a film in some altered gimmick audio mix that will sound like ass.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions, but to judge something as a piece of shit without even hearing it is just, well, shit.

As for the 1080P comment, you really just shat in your own nest there. Not as much as you did earlier today when you said every film needs to be DNR'd to death so you'll like how they look (the world does not revolve around 'ya, 'tis time 'ya learn that), but still.

Last edited by project-blu; 08-07-2009 at 03:51 AM.
Old 08-07-2009, 05:54 AM

Good review Nate!

I am a big fan of Woody Allen too. I agree with you, that this is no where near his best works (Annie Hall, Manhattan, Hannah and Her Sister, Crimes and Misdemeanors, Manhanttan Murder Mystery to name a few).

Scoop falls into the same categoriy as 'Hollywood Ending' and 'Curse of the Jaded Scorpion' for me, a light comedy that Allen's fan will enjoy and mix receptions from others. But, I still pretty much think that his mediocre film, is still better than most mediocre film out there IMHO.

Anyway, I hope he acts in his film again soon though, I think we are starting to miss his presence on screen. I still haven't seen 'Whatever Works', but from the looks of it, might be another miss than a hit. Oh well, his next big project sounds rather promising...
Old 08-07-2009, 06:59 AM

Just give me Annie Hall!!!
...and Whatever Works, just because I love Larry David.
Old 08-07-2009, 10:33 AM

Nate,

Excellent review -- while I disagree with you on the quality of Scoop (while it was definitely lighter fair, I enjoyed it) -- I did want to split hairs with you on one point you make.

Match Point is Allen's best film? Not to sound like Seth Meyers, but really? I'm assuming you're familiar with his body of work from what you wrote, and while I do agree that Match Point is a very good film -- top 10 material for Allen and his best of late -- I have a hard time saying that it has more meat on its bones than 'Crimes and Misdemeanors,' 'Manhattan,' or 'Annie Hall.' (The 'big 3' in my mind)... and I'd probably place 'Sweet and Lowdown' ahead of it as well. I'd be jumping for joy if any of those was released on Blu-ray... especially C&D -- beautifully, beautifully shot... Sven Nykvist was one of the best.
Old 08-07-2009, 10:40 AM
Former Member

Bandito- yes, i do believe Match Point to be a hair better than Annie Hall, though those two are extremely tough to compare, due to one being light fare, and the other, so very, very dark. i love Annie Hall to death, though, do not get me wrong, and it's my #2 or #3 Allen fave. the man has such an expansive library of works, many of which are so wonderful, that many people will have different favorites. 3/5 is a GOOD score, in my book, a hair above the norm. it's just nowhere near his other works, and those rare 5/5's have to be reserved for his special works.

Mackie- thank ya very much, and see, your list just so slightly varies from Bandit's. i agree w/ your sentiments on Hollywood Ending 10000%, an Allen fan will fall in love with it, but non-fans may scratch their heads and say WTF
Old 08-07-2009, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Bandito- yes, i do believe Match Point to be a hair better than Annie Hall, though those two are extremely tough to compare, due to one being light fare, and the other, so very, very dark. i love Annie Hall to death, though, do not get me wrong, and it's my #2 or #3 Allen fave.
I agree, despite both being by the same director, Annie Hall and Match Point are apples and oranges. Crimes and Misdemeanors is a better comparison, and you have some similar plot points in the two films (Angelica Huston's character in C&D is analgous to and Scarlett Johansson in Match Point)... but C&D also deals heavily with the Bergman-esque questions of faith and reason, the existence of a higher power, etc etc etc (Handled wonderfully in the seder scene)... and you have those wonderful little side plots that tie in with the themes, Sam Waterson as the Rabbi who is losing his sight -- symbolizing God turning his gaze away from the Earth and the wicked things that man does.

And, despite addressing these heavy themes, you have the wonderful funny bits with Allen & Alda... "Comedy equals tragedy, plus time." Good stuff. (And let's not forget the dark humor -- the fate of Allen's documentary subject for instance).

Don't get me wrong, Match Point is a great film -- certainly a 4.5/5, but it to me it doesn't quite meet the craftsmanship and depth that is displayed in Crimes and Misdemeanors.
Old 08-07-2009, 05:08 PM

On a different, but sorta related note, Annie Hall and Manhattan Murder Mystery are the perfect duo. MMM runs with a murder plot Allen and Marshall Brickman originally intended for AH.