Blue Thunder on Blu-ray - High-Def Digest Forums
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-05-2009, 05:38 PM
The Limey's Avatar
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 4,055
Default Blue Thunder on Blu-ray

Not long finished watching this today....
Basically this does this bad ass John Badham film the justice that it deserves. PQ is great (with some grain) and is amazingly clear and sharp. The TrueHD soundtrack has depth, is punchy, and also has pronounced surround sound to boot...
Basically the film has never looked this good on optical media and the aerial sequences are simply superb in 1080p.

The US edition is out on the 11th next week (and like the just released UK edition is from Sony with the same artwork etc), anyone on here going to pick this one up?

http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Thunder-B...9501962&sr=8-1
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-05-2009, 06:19 PM
cheez avenger's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 13,694
Default

Nate already reviewed it.


http://project-blu.com/reviews/blue_thunder.html
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-05-2009, 07:04 PM
nmcmahan52's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 12,219
Default

i'll probably pick it up sometime, it's one of my childhood favorites
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-05-2009, 07:40 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 124
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmcmahan52 View Post
i'll probably pick it up sometime, it's one of my childhood favorites
Same here and it influenced my love for helicopters.
Glad it retains the film grain and I was about to buy the Special Edition DVD. Is the film grain mediate to sort of heavy in some scenes? I watched a HD on demand of the film and it looked great. Nice film grain in both daylight and nighttime scenes.
Now we get to see with more clarity just what was on those displays in the helicopter!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-05-2009, 07:46 PM
comixguru's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 3,897
Default

All I have to say is... JAFO!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-05-2009, 09:42 PM
Former Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 21,462
Default

yeah, fun film for those who check their brains at the door. a complete 80's cliche. fun, though.

the blu-ray isn't extraordinary. not pedestrian, either. just middle of the road.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-05-2009, 10:15 PM
BostonMA's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 8,948
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Limey View Post
Not long finished watching this today....
Basically this does this bad ass John Badham film the justice that it deserves. PQ is great (with some grain) and is amazingly clear and sharp. The TrueHD soundtrack has depth, is punchy, and also has pronounced surround sound to boot...
Basically the film has never looked this good on optical media and the aerial sequences are simply superb in 1080p.

The US edition is out on the 11th next week (and like the just released UK edition is from Sony with the same artwork etc), anyone on here going to pick this one up?

http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Thunder-B...9501962&sr=8-1
hey i just noticed your name, is the limey your favorite film of all time? i watched it on ifc a few weeks ago, thought it was a pretty good revenge flick but surprised at it's 91% rating on rt, which i think is overrating it a bit.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-05-2009, 10:50 PM
The Limey's Avatar
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 4,055
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMA View Post
hey i just noticed your name, is the limey your favorite film of all time? i watched it on ifc a few weeks ago, thought it was a pretty good revenge flick but surprised at it's 91% rating on rt, which i think is overrating it a bit.
It's one of my favourite films, no doubt about it, cracking little caper and Stamp is superb as the ex con looking to wreak vengeance on his daughter's killers.
I would love to see this in Hi Def because it would scrub up just beautifully...
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-05-2009, 11:25 PM
HDM-GHANDI's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 485
Default

Malcolm McDowell is the bad guy. Who can ask for anything more? Roy Schneider is in all the good eighties movies. For guys, blue thunder has a bunch of gadgets. It is authoritarian structure corrupted like like Magnum Force was for the P.O. or the judges in The Star Chamber. I will be getting it when it gets under the $20 mark. I love this movie, I have always had the sd-dvd. I wasn't expecting it out on blu-ray. And being Sony, it will probably have the calibration color screen too. Great news.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-05-2009, 11:31 PM
Former Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 21,462
Default

no calibration screen, no. sorry.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
'Blue Thunder' - High-Def Digest Review Attebery Blu-ray Software General Discussion 15 09-10-2009 10:48 AM
Blue Thunder $10.99 @ Amazon ruvic Ultra-HD/Blu-ray Bargains 6 08-14-2009 08:01 PM
FS: Cutthroat Island, St. Elmo's Fire, Blue Thunder...more GizmoDVD Blu-ray Disc Exchange 1 08-12-2009 10:17 PM
Blue thunder on Blu-ray?? sachinwalia Blu-ray Software General Discussion 0 11-05-2007 02:33 AM
Blue Thunder? RIC26 HD DVD Software General Discussion 1 06-03-2007 05:51 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off