Blue Thunder on Blu-ray - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 08-05-2009, 05:38 PM

Default Blue Thunder on Blu-ray

Not long finished watching this today....
Basically this does this bad ass John Badham film the justice that it deserves. PQ is great (with some grain) and is amazingly clear and sharp. The TrueHD soundtrack has depth, is punchy, and also has pronounced surround sound to boot...
Basically the film has never looked this good on optical media and the aerial sequences are simply superb in 1080p.

The US edition is out on the 11th next week (and like the just released UK edition is from Sony with the same artwork etc), anyone on here going to pick this one up?

http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Thunder-B...9501962&sr=8-1
Old 08-05-2009, 06:19 PM

Nate already reviewed it.

http://project-blu.com/reviews/blue_thunder.html
Old 08-05-2009, 07:04 PM

i'll probably pick it up sometime, it's one of my childhood favorites
Old 08-05-2009, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmcmahan52 View Post
i'll probably pick it up sometime, it's one of my childhood favorites
Same here and it influenced my love for helicopters.
Glad it retains the film grain and I was about to buy the Special Edition DVD. Is the film grain mediate to sort of heavy in some scenes? I watched a HD on demand of the film and it looked great. Nice film grain in both daylight and nighttime scenes.
Now we get to see with more clarity just what was on those displays in the helicopter!
Old 08-05-2009, 07:46 PM

All I have to say is... JAFO!
Old 08-05-2009, 09:42 PM
Former Member

yeah, fun film for those who check their brains at the door. a complete 80's cliche. fun, though.

the blu-ray isn't extraordinary. not pedestrian, either. just middle of the road.
Old 08-05-2009, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Limey View Post
Not long finished watching this today....
Basically this does this bad ass John Badham film the justice that it deserves. PQ is great (with some grain) and is amazingly clear and sharp. The TrueHD soundtrack has depth, is punchy, and also has pronounced surround sound to boot...
Basically the film has never looked this good on optical media and the aerial sequences are simply superb in 1080p.

The US edition is out on the 11th next week (and like the just released UK edition is from Sony with the same artwork etc), anyone on here going to pick this one up?

http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Thunder-B...9501962&sr=8-1
hey i just noticed your name, is the limey your favorite film of all time? i watched it on ifc a few weeks ago, thought it was a pretty good revenge flick but surprised at it's 91% rating on rt, which i think is overrating it a bit.
Old 08-05-2009, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMA View Post
hey i just noticed your name, is the limey your favorite film of all time? i watched it on ifc a few weeks ago, thought it was a pretty good revenge flick but surprised at it's 91% rating on rt, which i think is overrating it a bit.
It's one of my favourite films, no doubt about it, cracking little caper and Stamp is superb as the ex con looking to wreak vengeance on his daughter's killers.
I would love to see this in Hi Def because it would scrub up just beautifully...
Old 08-05-2009, 11:25 PM

Malcolm McDowell is the bad guy. Who can ask for anything more? Roy Schneider is in all the good eighties movies. For guys, blue thunder has a bunch of gadgets. It is authoritarian structure corrupted like like Magnum Force was for the P.O. or the judges in The Star Chamber. I will be getting it when it gets under the $20 mark. I love this movie, I have always had the sd-dvd. I wasn't expecting it out on blu-ray. And being Sony, it will probably have the calibration color screen too. Great news.
Old 08-05-2009, 11:31 PM
Former Member

no calibration screen, no. sorry.