Quincy Jones 75th Anniversary - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 08-05-2009, 01:53 PM

Default Quincy Jones 75th Anniversary

Watched it tonight and I give it Reference for both audio/video.

While I won't say the performances were the best i've seen, it does give you an idea the breadth of the artists Q's worked with over the years. My particular favorites: Let the good times roll w/ Rahsaan Patterson, If I ever lose this heaven with Ledisi, Walking in Space.

I can't think of one thing to complain about the video. It was lit excellently, no dark areas or any low light level noise that I noticed. Images were sharp and the presentation exhibited no video noise. Now I believe it's a 1080i transfer, but it's alright with me.

Audio is the highlight. It's a near-field mix which means you could hear specific instruments in the front and the rear, which I prefer as oppose to leaving the rear channels for ambience. I was especially pleased that I could make out details such as drum cymbals (which aren't always easy to discern) along with the backing vocals, drums and keyboards. Vocals were fine and the soundtrack was very dynamic. Most impressive was how the big band was mixed, it really brought a realism to the presentation.

Won't be disappointed!
Old 08-05-2009, 04:38 PM

And it comes with a nice collector's booklet.