Away We Go - September 29th - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 08-04-2009, 04:57 PM

Default Away We Go - September 29th

Link
Quote:
OVERVIEW: From acclaimed Director Sam Mendes (Revolutionary Road) comes this funny, romantic, honest and surprisingly moving film that explores the comedic twists and emotional turns in one expectant couple's journey to find the right place to put down roots. John Krasinski (NBC's "The Office") and Maya Rudolph (NBC's "Saturday Night Live") transcend what you've seen before with break out performances that are warm, emotional and funny, as they go on their journey visiting friends and family brought to life by the enormously talented ensemble cast including Catherine O'Hara (Best In Show), Jeff Daniels (State of Play), Allison Janney (Juno), Maggie Gyllenhaal (Batman: The Dark Knight), and set to the original music of singer songwriter Alexi Murdoch (Garden State). Critics are raving about Away We Go: "4 stars! Honest, humorous and moving!" (Christy Lemire, Associated Press)

BONUS FEATURES EXCLUSIVE TO BLU-RAY(TM) Hi-Def:

BD-LIVE((TM)): Access the BD-Live((TM)) Center through your Internet-connected player to get even more content, watch the latest trailers, and more!
MY SCENES: Bookmark your favorite scenes from the movie then share with your BD-Live((TM)) buddies!

BONUS FEATURES (BLU-RAY(TM) HI-DEF AND DVD):

THE MAKING OF AWAY WE GO: Director Sam Mendes works with the highly original literary voices of Dave Eggers and Vendela Vida to bring Burt and Verona's journey to life.
GREEN FILMMAKING: In this featurette we'll hear from the key cast and filmmakers on the innovative and effective way Away We Go has pushed the envelope on environmentally friendly filmmaking.
FEATURE COMMENTARY: Commentary with Director Sam Mendes and Writers Dave Eggers and Vendela Vida.

SYNOPSIS: John Krasinski ("The Office") and Maya Rudolph ("Saturday Night Live") star in the heartfelt film that explores the comedic twists and turns in one couple's journey across contemporary America. Anticipating the birth of their first child, longtime couple Burt (Krasinski) and Verona (Rudolph) embark on an ambitious itinerary to visit friends and family in order to find their perfect home. Featuring a remarkable soundtrack and an incredible ensemble cast - including Jeff Daniels, Allison Janney, Maggie Gyllenhaal, Catherine O'Hara and Jim Gaffigan. It's the hilarious, witty film that critics are hailing as "absolutely extraordinary!" (Peter Travers, Rolling Stone)

TECHNICAL INFORMATION - BLU-RAY(TM)( )HI-DEF:

Street Date: September 29, 2009

Copyright: 2009 Universal Studios Home Entertainment

Selection Number: 62105960

Price: $39.98 SRP

Running Time: 1 Hour, 38 Minutes

Layers: BD-50

Aspect Ratio: Widescreen 1.85:1

Rating: R (for language and some sexual content)

Languages/Subtitles: English SDH, French Subtitles, Spanish Subtitles

Sound: English DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1, French DTS Surround 5.1, Spanish DTS Surround 5.1

May buy this one.

Last edited by timbobarry; 08-05-2009 at 01:57 AM.
Old 08-04-2009, 05:19 PM

I really wanted to like this movie. I really tried to enjoy it. A lot of talented people were involved in the making of it. I had to think that there must be something good about it.

But there isn't. At all.
Old 08-04-2009, 09:38 PM
Former Member

LOL josh.

i wanted to see it, due to krasinski, enjoy his "the office" character, but really, that's it. maybe when it's in the dirt cheap pile.
Old 08-04-2009, 10:23 PM

Sam Mendes is amazing. John Krasinski is an oscar caliber actor. I'll be blind buying this.
Old 08-04-2009, 11:04 PM

I totally expected to hate this. Not a big fan of Krasinski on The Office, and was pretty disappointed by Revolutionary Road. I was pleasantly surprised by this charming little gem. The soundtrack is awesome too.

This is the type of movie I could see watching multiple times so I might have to pick it up.
Old 08-05-2009, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleeve View Post
Sam Mendes is amazing. John Krasinski is an oscar caliber actor. I'll be blind buying this.
Like I said, a lot of talented people were involved in the making of this. Dave Eggers wrote the screenplay! Before I saw it, I honestly couldn't imagine it not being good.

I don't know. It's like you get all these good people together in a room, and they just cancel each other out.

It's not the worst movie I've seen this year, but there's just nothing special about it. And there are parts (like the Maggie Gyllenhaal subplot) that are really aggressively obnoxious and condescending. In fact, the smugness that pervades the entire movie is just hard to take.

I found this movie to be a huge disappointment. It should have been much better. YMMV.

Last edited by Josh Z; 08-05-2009 at 11:48 AM.
Old 08-05-2009, 11:37 AM

I'm pretty excited for this movie. Wanted to see it in theaters, but couldn't find the time to go and with its limited release it was here one day and gone the next. Can't wait to see it on Blu.

Twitter: @AaronPeck
Old 08-05-2009, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

It's not the worst movie I've seen this year, but there's just nothing special about it. And there are parts (like the Maggie Gyllenhaal subplot) that are really aggressively obnoxious and condescending. In fact, the smugness that pervades the entire movie is just hard to take.

I found this movie to be a huge disappointment. It should have been much better. YMMV.
I agree that the Gyllenhaal stuff and the lady from the West Wing were weak points. But they weren't bad enough to stop me from enjoying the rest of it.
Old 08-07-2009, 01:22 PM

Im gonna blind buy it for Krasinski!
Old 08-07-2009, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
I really wanted to like this movie. I really tried to enjoy it. A lot of talented people were involved in the making of it. I had to think that there must be something good about it.

But there isn't. At all.
Thanks on behalf of the rest of us for taking the hit and seeing it.

The trailer alone made me itch; looks like a bunch of self-absorbed leftie hippie-wannabes pretending to be "folks".