Buy Release Day or Wait for Sale: Battlestar Galactica - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 07-28-2009, 11:59 AM

Red face Buy Release Day or Wait for Sale: Battlestar Galactica

I wanted to started a forum regular series where everyone can chime in real quick or even let loose on a particular title. However with these comments I'll let you decide what I should or shouldn't buy rather than my inclinations. So the hefty Battlestar Galactica series comes out today MSRP $329.99 of the top of my head and BB has it for $209.99. Should I
get it now or wait for a sale like thanksgiving or two weeks. I'll let you know I'll probably get it it's just a matter of when. Since it's not some type of limited to 5000 copies or something it should be available for some time. So share your thoughts.
Old 07-28-2009, 12:00 PM

Why wait for a sale, go to DD, click buy on BSG (listed $219), enter code "supersale", get 25% off, pay $164.94. I jumped all over that.
Old 07-28-2009, 12:17 PM

I'm familiar with BB and Amazon but does DD = Deep Discount DVD?
Old 07-28-2009, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxSteling View Post
I'm familiar with BB and Amazon but does DD = Deep Discount DVD?
Complete series on bluray is selling for $164.94 at DD, the DVD's are selling for cheaper.
Old 07-28-2009, 12:23 PM

I say wait until it is under $150, which will happen in time. Granted, $209 is a great price for a complete series on Blu-Ray, but I have never seen the series before, so to me, it is not worth buying for more than $150, and I will not watch it on anything except Blu-Ray.
Old 07-28-2009, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
I say wait until it is under $150, which will happen in time. Granted, $209 is a great price for a complete series on Blu-Ray, but I have never seen the series before, so to me, it is not worth buying for more than $150, and I will not watch it on anything except Blu-Ray.
It's perfection though, hell I couldn't knock it at MSRP other than the fact that I can't afford MSRP I sure as heck could afford $164.94 for the complete series on bluray though! Go go deepdiscount
Old 07-28-2009, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxSteling View Post
I wanted to started a forum regular series where everyone can chime in real quick or even let loose on a particular title. However with these comments I'll let you decide what I should or shouldn't buy rather than my inclinations. So the hefty Battlestar Galactica series comes out today MSRP $329.99 of the top of my head and BB has it for $209.99. Should I
get it now or wait for a sale like thanksgiving or two weeks. I'll let you know I'll probably get it it's just a matter of when. Since it's not some type of limited to 5000 copies or something it should be available for some time. So share your thoughts.
If you happen to have an HD DVD player you can get the first season real cheap from traderbora on Amazon ($6.50 before shipping) to get you started
Old 07-28-2009, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajvandenb View Post
If you happen to have an HD DVD player you can get the first season real cheap from traderbora on Amazon ($6.50 before shipping) to get you started
That's not a bad price. However, I would still recommend reading our HDD review before buying that set. I've never personally seen the HD DVD version myself, but there have been massive reports of faulty discs due to the lame packaging.

http://hddvd.highdefdigest.com/682/b...actica_s1.html

Still, it's not a bad collectible and you can at least preview the miniseries and the first season to see if you like it.
Old 07-28-2009, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landy View Post
That's not a bad price. However, I would still recommend reading our HDD review before buying that set. I've never personally seen the HD DVD version myself, but there have been massive reports of faulty discs due to the lame packaging.

http://hddvd.highdefdigest.com/682/b...actica_s1.html

Still, it's not a bad collectible and you can at least preview the miniseries and the first season to see if you like it.
I guess my only note on the HDD review is that having now seen more BSG in High def I now disagree with the PQ assesment. I feel like the set is exactly (or nearly exactly) what Ron D Moore wanted us to see. If you're not a fan of film grain then you'll likely have a hard time with that, if on the otherhand you can appriciate the series for what it was meant to be then you'll very highly enjoy it.
Old 07-28-2009, 12:44 PM

I would caution you on waiting for a mega sale or for it to go cheaper, this 20 disc set is a Limited Edition and you may loose out if you wait. Plus you get a Cyclon Action Figure!!!!