Sony Inks Deal With Redbox For Distribution - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 07-27-2009, 03:23 PM

Default Sony Inks Deal With Redbox For Distribution

http://www.cnbc.com/id/32016370
Old 07-28-2009, 04:24 PM

I've never used one myself.
Old 07-28-2009, 04:28 PM

I use RedBox almost exclusively for my rentals. All of the kiosks near me (there are 5 of them within a 5 mile radius) stock Blu-ray titles. The selection of Blu-rays isn't huge, but usually includes most of the bigger (more popular) hit titles.

To be honest, I hadn't noticed that Sony titles were absent from the RedBox. But I have noticed that Universal titles are absent! RedBox and Universal are embroiled in a legal battle over Universal's title availability to RedBox through wholesalers.

RedBox will continue to be my favorite way to rent. How can you beat $1/day to watch a high-def movie on Blu-ray? I've also got a couple of the DVDPlay kiosks within 5 miles of my home but they don't carry Blu-ray at all.

Mark
Old 07-28-2009, 04:34 PM

Meh.

Never used them. Why should I leave the house to get movies when they can get delivered to my place via Netflix. Time is money.

Weren't they just saying that Amazon was rumored to buy Netflix? Someone was rumored to by Netflix, that's what I meant.
Old 07-28-2009, 05:00 PM

Well, I'm retired so I have PLENTY of time! Besides, the RedBox kiosks are in the grocery stores we frequent (Albertsons) so we are already there anyway! I'm a bit of a gourmet chef and my wife and I shop for meals on a near daily basis. You get the freshest stuff that way!

Mark
Old 07-28-2009, 05:39 PM

I used Redbox all the time before I went Blu - sadly none of the boxes around me have Blu Ray yet. When they all stock Blu Ray for $1 a night I will be back to using them like I did before.
Old 07-29-2009, 06:57 PM

Just, out of interest, how do these kiosks work. I've seen them around Europe as well, but have yet to see one in the UK. How many films are in each kiosk, and when you rent one, how does it know when you have returned it, and that when you return it, it is the correct disc / there is a disc in the box? I assume you have to put your card details in when you take a film out?
Also, can you return a film to any kiosk, or does it have to be the same one you took it out from?
Also, do the films have cover art. Some of the ones I saw in France / Italy I think let you buy films as well as rent. Are they new or ex-rentals?
Old 07-29-2009, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheez avenger View Post
Meh.

Never used them. Why should I leave the house to get movies when they can get delivered to my place via Netflix. Time is money.
Simple. I wait 5 to 6 fucking weeks for new release with Netflix these days. Probably even longer with something like Watchmen. It's pretty easy to pick it up for a buck the night it's released -- which is what I did with that particular movie. Oh, and not that I'm lazy, but I picked it up on way my out of the grocery store that night -- which is 3 minutes from my house. You can also go online and look up the machine closest to where you live, check what's in stock and reserve your movie, then go pick it up knowing it will be there when you arrive. With a growing selection, they are going to keep getting my business. I canceled Netflix.
Old 07-29-2009, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarvin View Post
Simple. I wait 5 to 6 fucking weeks for new release with Netflix these days. Probably even longer with something like Watchmen. It's pretty easy to pick it up for a buck the night it's released -- which is what I did with that particular movie. Oh, and not that I'm lazy, but I picked it up on way my out of the grocery store that night -- which is 3 minutes from my house. You can also go online and look up the machine closest to where you live, check what's in stock and reserve your movie, then go pick it up knowing it will be there when you arrive. With a growing selection, they are going to keep getting my business. I canceled Netflix.
Too much effort. Fuck all that running around bullshit.

Oh, and as I've said before I've never had to wait for a new release from Netflix.

It's a non issue with me, so to each their own.
Old 07-30-2009, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gummer View Post
Just, out of interest, how do these kiosks work. I've seen them around Europe as well, but have yet to see one in the UK. How many films are in each kiosk, and when you rent one, how does it know when you have returned it, and that when you return it, it is the correct disc / there is a disc in the box? I assume you have to put your card details in when you take a film out?
Also, can you return a film to any kiosk, or does it have to be the same one you took it out from?
Also, do the films have cover art. Some of the ones I saw in France / Italy I think let you buy films as well as rent. Are they new or ex-rentals?
The discs have bar codes on them so the machine knows if you are returning the real disc or not. You can return to any Redbox machine - not just the one the rented from. You do always have to swipe your card - even if you use a free code (and there are lots of them online) - that way if you are late returning the movie it will charge you another $1 per day. You can buy some discs (former rentals) - but as far as I know they are disc only - no cover art.