Digital Copies and the Problems That Come With Them - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 07-27-2009, 03:19 PM

Default Digital Copies and the Problems That Come With Them

I tried to transfer The Dark Knight to my ipod last week, only to find that my wife's need for portable Christian Bale eye candy had used up my one free copy of the movie. Maddening. Looks like I'm not the only one who has run into problems with the DRM and other issues for these things.

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/sh..._Up_To_Be/3140
Old 07-27-2009, 03:21 PM

What's a digital copy?

Old 07-27-2009, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheez avenger View Post
What's a digital copy?

Cheez (like the name by the way), as a bonus, when you buy some blu rays, they come with an included DVD which will let you download a standard def copy of the movie to your computer so you can put it on your portable media device.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attebery View Post
Looks like I'm not the only one who has run into problems with the DRM and other issues for these things.
Well, technically you've run into no problem at all since its doing exactly what it was designed to do: limit how many times you can load up the film. If it weren't protected like that they'd essentially be giving it away as people would just pass them among their friends, upload to the internet, etc...

That's what DVD is for

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightymouseusf View Post
Cheez (like the name by the way), as a bonus, when you buy some blu rays, they come with an included DVD which will let you download a standard def copy of the movie to your computer so you can put it on your portable media device.
I uh... I think he may have been sarcastic.
Old 07-27-2009, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightymouseusf View Post

haha, yeah, I was being sarcastic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKiIroiCvZ0
Old 07-27-2009, 03:42 PM

overall i think Digital copy has helped but it could be better.

In your case with TDK, With iTunes you actually get 5 copies its just a bit complicated to go about moving it. With any iTunes purchased content you can put it on up to 5 different computers(this may have changed because they no longer use DRM) but using a program like Music Rescue, which iTunes promotes on their website, you can load media from an ipod or iphone back onto a different computer then its just a matter of playing the file and inputting the password of the original owner to allow access.

In cases like Zack and Miri its really the studios fault for being ignorant to the market. Any studio who thinks not releasing iTunes compatible DCs is going to please their customers is just stupid. iTunes and iPod are they digital media player market.
Old 07-27-2009, 03:56 PM

what the hell?

so you're actually limited to how many times you can transfer the digital copy over? why even bother then? wow, and i thought they were utterly pointless before.
Old 07-27-2009, 03:57 PM

I'll be upgrading to Win7 this fall. What happens to all my digital copies once I install a new OS? WM11 does not allow you to back up licenses like you could in previous versions. I currently store all my digital copies on my HP MediaSmart Server's shared drive. Will a fresh install of my OS be able to play these back from the server?
Old 07-27-2009, 04:21 PM

Downloading TDK's DC was a nightmare for me. It took over an hour to finish, while Wall-E's took about 5 minutes.

I don't really like them. Waste of space, and it's just something that's going into the garbage once someone uses it, so that's creating a whole bunch of trash that didn't need to be created. Just include a slip you can enter or something.