Universal Launches iPhone Features For Blu-Ray Discs - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 07-21-2009, 02:51 PM

Default Universal Launches iPhone Features For Blu-Ray Discs

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/sh...ay_Discs_/3102
Old 07-21-2009, 03:15 PM

this sounds promising, I was wondering what would be the first Blu Ray disc to use an iPhone app.
Old 07-21-2009, 03:21 PM

Sounds very interesting. I'm curious to see what they can do with this down the road.
Old 07-21-2009, 03:58 PM

yeah, great news. Seems interesting, wondering how far this can be.
Old 07-21-2009, 04:57 PM

Nice! I just got an iPhone a week ago and this is good news. I'm already lovin this phone.
Old 07-21-2009, 06:54 PM

Sorry to poop on the party .... but just exactly how is this 'connection' going to work? The only Blu-ray player that I know of that has bluetooth is the PS3. And does the iPhone even support bluetooth yet? Also, if they were to use wi-fi.... same thing there: how many blu-ray 2.0 players are 'network aware' (other than being able to connect to a router), and how many have wi-fi? --And even if they have wi-fi, then we're back to the machine not being able to be aware of other network devices, no?

...Which brings us down to (maybe) a wired USB connection. --And then we're still at the question of, "How would the BD player be aware of the connection to iPhone?" (Because most BD-player USB ports are just for seeing attached media-storage; not being able to interact at the OS-level with another piece of hardware.)

After eliminating all of that, then this can only be 1 of 2 things, both of which are 'painful', and really has little to do with the actual Blu-ray itself:

1) You are downloading separate content to both the 2.0 BD player, and then to the iPhone, and it doesn't even matter if you own the BD content.

2) You are downloading separate content just as above, but need to login BOTH from the 2.0 BD player and separately from the iPhone. Then, the online servers 'match-up' that you are on the iPhone while confirming that you own the legitimate disc content .... all so that you can download a gimmicky app to the iPhone.

I'm all for 'revolutionary content' and making the most out of BD's content capabilities. I just don't see this being 'it'.
Old 07-22-2009, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damonous View Post
Sorry to poop on the party .... but just exactly how is this 'connection' going to work? The only Blu-ray player that I know of that has bluetooth is the PS3. And does the iPhone even support bluetooth yet? Also, if they were to use wi-fi.... same thing there: how many blu-ray 2.0 players are 'network aware' (other than being able to connect to a router), and how many have wi-fi? --And even if they have wi-fi, then we're back to the machine not being able to be aware of other network devices, no?
To quote the press release..

Quote:
For the first time ever, iPhone and iPod touch users will have the ability to control interactive content on their Internet and Wi-Fi connected Blu-ray players for a more enhanced and unique experience.
Like, my Blu-ray player is connected by a wireless router.. so this should work, since the iPhone is on the same wireless network The phone is already device aware, that's how the apple remote app works.. so this should be interesting.

I'll just wait for a movie that interests me to try it out on.
Old 07-23-2009, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damonous View Post
Sorry to poop on the party .... but just exactly how is this 'connection' going to work? The only Blu-ray player that I know of that has bluetooth is the PS3. And does the iPhone even support bluetooth yet?
Of course the iPhone supports bluetooth my friend... It is the ultimate phone.
Old 07-23-2009, 02:02 AM

Looking forward to trying this out when they release it for a movie I like.