'Glory' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 07-19-2009, 11:37 PM

Default 'Glory' - High-Def Digest Review

David has reviewed 'Glory.' He says it has held up well over the last twenty years, and remains one of the best Civil War films ever made. This Blu-ray has stellar video, reference audio, and a wealth of supplements. This is one to own!

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/556/glory.html
Old 07-19-2009, 11:50 PM

I love this movie very much, might not give it 5 stars but I do indeed love it. Should probably pick it up for cheap later on.

Part of The Finer Things Club, The Ghostbusters Club, The American Psycho Club, The SDF on 360 Club
Old 07-20-2009, 12:13 AM
Former Member

i bought it on one of CH's bogo's, still haven't had time to view it though. i've been a zwick fan ever since Last Samurai, though Blood Diamond turned me off, big time.
Old 07-20-2009, 12:13 AM

Wow... just wow.. that is some bad cover art. Maybe the worst I've ever seen. Sony have some seriously crappy photoshop people working for them. Mail me Sony, i have a semi trained chimp and a flatulent puppy here, I'm sure they could do a better job.
Seriously though, I need work and I'm cheap
Old 07-20-2009, 12:14 AM

May pick this up eventually...and cheap. Never seen this one but I may give this one a try/blind buy. Pretty good scores.
Old 07-20-2009, 12:23 AM

These new reviewers are like the anti Peter Bracke and Josh Zyber. Unless its really really bad everything gets 4.5 to 5 star rating.
Old 07-20-2009, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourToedStatue View Post
These new reviewers are like the anti Peter Bracke and Josh Zyber. Unless its really really bad everything gets 4.5 to 5 star rating.
Uh huh. Thats for sure. I still cant get over the high rating for the Spike Lee masterpiece-ruined Do the Right Thing. Ruined like French Connection-ruined by color timing. Great movie made horrible.
Old 07-20-2009, 01:08 AM
Former Member

Quote:
Spoiler
nice generalization there, chief...

i'll let other reviewers go to bat for themselves, as they are all capable of shooting holes in that wonderful "theory" you got there, but here's a little something something for you, from me! all by means of doing a little search on the review index of this site (it's a nice thing to have, really, made this search take less than a couple minutes).

Nate Boss - 29 reviews as of this post (that means 58 separate audio and video reviews)
2- 4.5 or 5.0 star video scores (Bedtime Stories and Monster's Inc)
6- 4.5 or 5.0 star audio scores (John Adams, UW Trilogy, X-Men, Monster's Inc, Repo, and Sky Crawlers)

and before you go on and call me a homer on other things, only 1 review has been given a 4.5 or 5.0 for the film itself by me. out of 29. that's a hair over 3%, and i have YET to give out a perfect film score. seriously, two of my high scorers were a pixar film for christ sakes, they have been pure GOLD on blu-ray in terms of audio and video.

that's 8/58 (or 6/56 when you exclude the perfect Monsters, Inc). or 9/87 (7/85) if you include the film scores. please try harder if you're going to troll, as you just got some holes shot in your "point" by making wide branching generalizations.

Yes, French Connection looks like hell. Like absolute hell. Do the Right Thing does not. it looks DIFFERENT.

/threadjack. sorry bout that.
Old 07-20-2009, 01:14 AM

This looked and sounded great on my system. It has the distinction of being the first BD watched on a Plasma.
Old 07-20-2009, 01:48 AM

Quote:
That is such BS! In fact, I've been taken to task numerous times in this forum for not giving out HIGHER scores more often! Here are my stats:

41 reviews posted
27% of titles received 4.5 or higher on video; only ONE of those titles received a 5 (Kramer vs. Kramer)
17% of titles received a 4.5 or higher on audio; only TWO of those titles received a 5 (Slumdog Millionaire and Glory)
22% of titles received a 4.5 or higher on the movie rating; only FOUR of those titles received a 5 (Doubt, Glory, Kramer vs. Kramer, and Rent: Filmed Live on Broadway)

Please don't make generalizations without first posting the facts to back up your statement.