Has Doctor Who been released on Blu-Ray? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 07-14-2009, 02:05 AM

Default Has Doctor Who been released on Blu-Ray?

I borrowed from the library this BBC series called Doctor Who (which stars the guy from the upcoming GI Joe movie), and after watching the first four episodes, I am hooked. Has it been released on Blu-Ray yet?
Old 07-14-2009, 03:10 AM
Always SpartanJohnson

This is coming out on Blu-ray, but nothing else from what I have noticed:
http://www.amazon.com/Doctor-Who-Pla...7551798&sr=1-1
Old 07-14-2009, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
I borrowed from the library this BBC series called Doctor Who (which stars the guy from the upcoming GI Joe movie), and after watching the first four episodes, I am hooked. Has it been released on Blu-Ray yet?
Yes. But only one show, becasue well only one show was filmed in HD. The new series 2005-2008 was kept SD on purpose for production reasons.
In 2009 Planet of the Dead was released on blu in the US and the UK

Catching up on Christopher Eccleston? Well welcome to the world of who IMHO it only gets better in the later series with David Tennant

**edit**
PS the spin off series, Torchwood, was shot in HD from day 1 and is available on Blu (and Series 1 on HD DVD) Torchwood isn't for everybody and I guessing you're about to meet Cpt Jack. So I'll stop now so I don't spoil anything for you.
Old 07-14-2009, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Doctor View Post
Yes. But only one show, becasue well only one show was filmed in HD. The new series 2005-2008 was kept SD on purpose for production reasons.

**edit**
PS the spin off series, Torchwood, was shot in HD from day 1 and is available on Blu (and Series 1 on HD DVD) Torchwood isn't for everybody and I guessing you're about to meet Cpt Jack. So I'll stop now so I don't spoil anything for you.
I've always wondered why Torchwood was shot in HD while Doctor Who wasn't, especially since both shows essentially share the same creative team.
Old 07-14-2009, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Doctor View Post
Well I still would rather have the new stuff on Blu-Ray regardless of whether it was shot in HD or not. Actually, how can it not be HD when it looks like it was filmed digitally?
Old 07-14-2009, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Well I still would rather have the new stuff on Blu-Ray regardless of whether it was shot in HD or not.
Well, good luck convincing distributors to take the market-confusion risk of releasing SD content on Blu-ray any time soon.

Quote:
Actually, how can it not be HD when it looks like it was filmed digitally?
Before HD video, there was... SD video.
Old 07-14-2009, 11:54 AM

The new Dr Who (and Torchwood, it's an anagram...) just remind me of a bunch of kids playing a game involving chases and toy guns in a school lunch hour. OTOH the very last Torchwood (Children of Earth) that just aired here was different enough to be "good" IMHO. Good stories and SF spoilt by poor production values.
Old 07-15-2009, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctorossi View Post
Well, good luck convincing distributors to take the market-confusion risk of releasing SD content on Blu-ray any time soon.
Why is it that people seem to think something has to be filmed in HD for it to be worth it? Blu-Ray is not always just about high def you know!! There is the better stability of the discs. Better cases. Consistency with cases (who wants to have half a series in a DVD case/box and the other half in a Blu-Ray case/box???). More episodes on a single disc (if not wanted to be done in HD). There are a whole list of reasons for something to be put on Blu-Ray.

No TV show made after 2000 is worth buying on DVD regardless of whether it was filmed in HD or not.
Old 07-15-2009, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Why is it that people seem to think something has to be filmed in HD for it to be worth it?
I'd love to have it on Blu, as well. However, I can understand the marketing challenge since the push can be much simpler and stronger by equating Blu-ray directly with HD. You must admit, if an SD series were released on Blu-ray, there would surely be a fair number of ignorant consumers out there shouting "Hey- this looks like crap! What gives?!"
Old 07-15-2009, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Why is it that people seem to think something has to be filmed in HD for it to be worth it? Blu-Ray is not always just about high def you know!! There is the better stability of the discs. Better cases. Consistency with cases (who wants to have half a series in a DVD case/box and the other half in a Blu-Ray case/box???). More episodes on a single disc (if not wanted to be done in HD). There are a whole list of reasons for something to be put on Blu-Ray.

No TV show made after 2000 is worth buying on DVD regardless of whether it was filmed in HD or not.
Those are all arguable and opinions. Better "stability?" "cases?" I happen to like some of the DVD cases/boxes.