'Waltz with Bashir' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 07-13-2009, 12:32 PM

Default 'Waltz with Bashir' - High-Def Digest Review

Drew has reviewed 'Waltz with Bashir.' He has a few concerns regarding the film's techniques, but says it's certainly worthwhile. The video and audio on this Blu-ray are "superb." Extras are few, but potent. Highly recommended.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/2342/waltzbashir.html
Old 07-13-2009, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Keep in mind that I've seen the film several times now, including my first viewing at a New York Film Festival press screening, where director Ari Folman spoke to us afterwards.
well la-di-da

Last edited by eNoize; 07-13-2009 at 01:45 PM.
Old 07-13-2009, 01:57 PM

Didn't O'Brien waltz with Bashir in the holodecks at Quark's bar on DS9?
Old 07-13-2009, 02:02 PM

^^
LOL

Josh will know the answer to that.
Unfollow me at twitter: @MEnoisDuarte

Movies are so rarely great art that if we cannot appreciate great trash
we have very little reason to be interested in them.

~ Pauline Kael
Old 07-13-2009, 02:33 PM

I have been wanting to see this for a long time, I will give it a rent.

PS why are screen caps missing from recent reviews, they were never that great to begin with (especially compared to other sites that give high resolution caps) but for a movie like this, I think it would be helpful.
Old 07-13-2009, 03:30 PM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landy View Post
Didn't O'Brien waltz with Bashir in the holodecks at Quark's bar on DS9?
+2 nerd points for you, Tom, and +10 to anyone who can point to proof that he did and/or didn't. my god, man!
Old 07-13-2009, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by typ44q View Post
PS why are screen caps missing from recent reviews, they were never that great to begin with (especially compared to other sites that give high resolution caps) but for a movie like this, I think it would be helpful.
We've never used screen caps in our reviews to any great extent. There may be some pictures on the sides of the articles for illustration, but those are generally publicity stills from the studio, and aren't intended to represent what the disc looks like.

There is a long argument to be had about the usefulness or lack thereof of screen caps. They are too easily misused and misunderstood. The purpose of the reviews here is to provide the reviewer's analysis of the disc's technical qualities. That what we're paid for, not for cutting and pasting screen caps.
Old 07-13-2009, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
We've never used screen caps in our reviews to any great extent. There may be some pictures on the sides of the articles for illustration, but those are generally publicity stills from the studio, and aren't intended to represent what the disc looks like.

There is a long argument to be had about the usefulness or lack thereof of screen caps. They are too easily misused and misunderstood. The purpose of the reviews here is to provide the reviewer's analysis of the disc's technical qualities. That what we're paid for, not for cutting and pasting screen caps.
Yep. Not only that, I think most of us have a player that isn't connected to a PC. I had to get a new laptop so I bought one with a Blu-ray player in it since my Panasonic standalone isn't 2.0 compliant, but I still can't figure out how to take snapshots. I used to be able to do it on my other laptop with WinDVD, but it's not here anymore.
Old 07-13-2009, 11:02 PM

Saw this in theaters and thought it was pretty incredible. I loved the music and animation.
Old 03-03-2011, 08:05 AM

The music was definitely fantastic...didn't need to see Ron Jeremy cartoon erection on screen (talk about detraction/distraction, and I guess they modeled it after him since he was listed in the credits :| ), but the story was engaging and given that it was based on nonfiction even made it more meaningful/powerful. It simply serves as another window into some of the warped minds that continue to shape the conflict and perpetuate it.