Disgusting DVD. - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 07-13-2009, 12:33 AM
Banned

Default Disgusting DVD.

Is it just me, or is anybody else starting to hate standard DVD? I feel absolutely nothing for DVD.

After I see an older film or catalog title movie that I like, the first thing I do is say, “I have to get this on Bluray." But the second thing I say is, “Hmm, I hope it’s on Bluray.”

So I do a search; usually here, Blu-ray.com, and Amazon.com. But when I see only “DVD” matches, I get pissed.

Like today, I re-watched The Banquet/Legend of the Black Scorpion/Ye Yan (it goes by any of those three titles), and I said, “This is good! I gotta get this on Bluray” – But no can do. It’s only on disgusting DVD.
Old 07-13-2009, 12:53 AM

I was that way when I first transitioned to Blu-Ray. It HURT to watch DVD, it was a chore. When I wanted an older title and couldn't find it on Blu-Ray, I'd really be disappointed, and i wouldn't get the movie. Lately, though, I've been watching a lot of my older DVD's, and its not even bothering me. I mean, obviously I realize the picture is terrible compared to Blu-Ray, but i really don't care. If there's an old movie I want, but its not on Blu, or there's an older movie that wouldn't benefit too much from Hi-Def (or I don't care if it looks good), then I just go to Amazon and pick up the DVD for literally pocket change.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a full supporter of Blu-Ray, lol, but DVD really doesn't bother me anymore like it used to. Since I got into Blu-Ray, I've even purchased over 20 DVDs, and when I first bought a blu-ray player I said to myself that I'd never purchase another DVD.

But yeah, DVD blows, but it doesn't bother me, and it's an insanely cheap alternative to waiting for old movies to come to blu-ray.
Old 07-13-2009, 01:01 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeescf04 View Post
I was that way when I first transitioned to Blu-Ray. It HURT to watch DVD, it was a chore. When I wanted an older title and couldn't find it on Blu-Ray, I'd really be disappointed, and i wouldn't get the movie. Lately, though, I've been watching a lot of my older DVD's, and its not even bothering me. I mean, obviously I realize the picture is terrible compared to Blu-Ray, but i really don't care. If there's an old movie I want, but its not on Blu, or there's an older movie that wouldn't benefit too much from Hi-Def (or I don't care if it looks good), then I just go to Amazon and pick up the DVD for literally pocket change.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a full supporter of Blu-Ray, lol, but DVD really doesn't bother me anymore like it used to. Since I got into Blu-Ray, I've even purchased over 20 DVDs, and when I first bought a blu-ray player I said to myself that I'd never purchase another DVD.

But yeah, DVD blows, but it doesn't bother me, and it's an insanely cheap alternative to waiting for old movies to come to blu-ray.
I got rid of 113 DVD's so far; 105 more to go. Good riddance, DVD
Old 07-13-2009, 01:06 AM

I agree.

There's something about owning DVDs that I hate. Like even when a movie comes out on DVD I'm like "Man, I wish they would put it in a Blu-ray case". I don't know what it is about them. I mean, Blu-ray is of course hands-down superior, but DVDs are still fine. Yet something about them makes me not want to watch/own them.
Old 07-13-2009, 01:11 AM

I've been selling alot of my DVDs in order to buy them over on Blu. When I buy a Blu and I have it on DVD already I'll give it to my Dad. But when I see DVDs on sale I'm such a sucker. I'll buy older titles / movies I could care less about on DVD when the prices are hard to refuse.

Such as B movie Horror Flicks, TV Sets, etc.

However, I do regret buying lost seasons 1-4 on DVD. My OCD will get the best of me when Season 5 comes out I must get rid of them quick.
Old 07-13-2009, 02:01 AM

Standard disks are fine. For me a Bluray or HD-DVD for that matter is like going to the movies. If its a big budget action flick I want it in high def (see it at the theater), if its a comedy or a drama or whatnot, I'm satisfied with a SD (wit to rent it or see it on cable).
Old 07-13-2009, 02:25 AM

my oppo upconvert dvd pretty well (especially PAL discs) so I havent had any complain about DVD....

until a couple of days ago when I walk pass my local electronic store and they were playing the charlies angels dvd on a 52 Samsung LED TV ... the pictures was awful, you can clearly see macroblocking on Cameron Diaz face .....

I just dont get it, I thought they're trying to sell these expensive as hell TV's ....
Old 07-13-2009, 02:29 AM

Most of the DVDs i own upconvert alright and i'm not heaps snobby about it. Not going to rebuy EVERYTHING i own on DVD on blu-ray, that would just be too expensive. TV shows i tend to always buy on DVD anyway, simply because my parents might want to watch them. Sure, some DVDs are horrible to watch, even upconverted, but some stuff upconverts good enough for me.
Old 07-13-2009, 02:58 AM

yeah, i think i've pretty much stopped buying DVDs. unless it's something that i love, and i'm sure that it won't ever come out on BD.

it's been at least a year since my last DVD purchase, maybe longer

even for the movies in my DVD collection that i don't even like that much, i'll be upgrading them to BD if they are ever released
Old 07-13-2009, 03:31 AM

i've also said bye-bye to DVDs!