'Predator 2' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 07-12-2009, 08:22 PM

Default 'Predator 2' - High-Def Digest Review

Josh has reviewed 'Predator 2.' Pure guilty pleasure. This Blu-ray isn't any show-stopper, with just adequate audio and video. Unless you can list the movie as a beloved secret shame, this one is rental.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/2206/predator2.html
Old 07-12-2009, 08:32 PM

I've always enjoyed this one more than the first movie...I don't know why, I just do. I've been waiting on this review and sadly I just won't buy it.
Old 07-12-2009, 08:34 PM

I've had the UK import for a while. I thought it looked/sounded better than this review scores it.

IMO
Old 07-12-2009, 08:44 PM

I've always thought this movie was awkward at best. As a side note, I think it's funny that they totally ignore what earth is like in the this movie in AvP... Shouldn't there be rampant gang wars and craziness going on in the first AvP? Or something as such? I mean, correct me if I'm wrong but isn't AvP technically supposed to take place before Predator in the timeline? Baha.
Old 07-12-2009, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilResident View Post
I've always thought this movie was awkward at best. As a side note, I think it's funny that they totally ignore what earth is like in the this movie in AvP... Shouldn't there be rampant gang wars and craziness going on in the first AvP? Or something as such? I mean, correct me if I'm wrong but isn't AvP technically supposed to take place before Predator in the timeline? Baha.

Yeah, but L.A. is a war zone. The first AVP took place in Antartica, and the second AVP was in the midwest.

It's always a warzone in L.A.
Old 07-12-2009, 09:14 PM

Chet from 'Weird Science' rocks!

Great review, it was a very fun read.
Old 07-12-2009, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilResident View Post
The AVP movies take place before any of the 'Alien' movies, but after both 'Predator' movies.

Predator 2 is set in 1997. According to Wikipedia, the first AVP is set in 2004 (the year it was released), and the second picks up immediately afterwards.

So, in answer to your question, yes the AVPs do more or less ignore some of the continuity of Predator 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheez avenger View Post
Yeah, but L.A. is a war zone. The first AVP took place in Antartica, and the second AVP was in the midwest.

It's always a warzone in L.A.
True, but most of the supplements on Predator 2 point out that the "near future" of 1997 was meant to be a world in which global warming was out of control. That's why everybody is always sweating in every scene. If that were the case, you'd think most of Antarctica would have already melted.
Old 07-12-2009, 10:19 PM

Has someone compared this release to the UK Predator 2 BD release? Do both share the same issues?

I have the UK BD and the only noticeable problem I detected was some dirt and smudges visible during the opening titles.

I was expecting more grain from the source. I wasn't specifically looking for waxy faces, so didn't see any either.
Old 07-12-2009, 11:04 PM
Banned

I, too, enjoy this one a tad more than the first, which--across multiple viewings--takes too long to get to the "good stuff". PREDATOR 2 starts kicking mucho ass right out of the gate, as well as having a, what?, thirty-minute mano-a-alieno battle as the finale. Good fun...not high art, but good fun.
Old 07-12-2009, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
True, but most of the supplements on Predator 2 point out that the "near future" of 1997 was meant to be a world in which global warming was out of control. That's why everybody is always sweating in every scene. If that were the case, you'd think most of Antarctica would have already melted.
Yeah this was what I was referring to. It's been a while since I've watched either movie, but I knew there was some giant gaping inconsistency between them. I think Anderson was more of an alien fan than Predator by quite a wide margin. It just seemed like he got a lot of the references to those movies as right as possible for him, but not so much from Predator.