Does anyone else HATE that WB is putting its new logo on catalog titles? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 07-12-2009, 01:15 PM

Default Does anyone else HATE that WB is putting its new logo on catalog titles?

Couldn't find a discussion about this, but for some reason, when they slap the "As Time Goes By" logo on stuff like JFK and Falling Down, it totally takes me out of the mood.
Old 07-12-2009, 01:27 PM

I could care less. All I care about is what's in the movie and not the logo.
Old 07-12-2009, 01:49 PM

I really couldn't care less.
Old 07-12-2009, 01:52 PM

There's a new logo?
Old 07-12-2009, 01:54 PM

Didn't notice.
Old 07-12-2009, 02:00 PM

I don't know what you are talking about.
Old 07-12-2009, 04:51 PM

I prefer the old logos myself. It's just as much a part of the experience.

Any game that features paid loot boxes should be rated AO.
Old 07-12-2009, 05:50 PM

While I'm not enraged by this, I'm more than a little irritated by this practice. The opening logos date a movie and situate it within its historical and aesthetic context (the logos change over time in the same way as shooting styles, film stocks, studio budgets, audience sensibilities, and so forth), and are indeed a part of the experience of a film "as it was intended," which I think all of us are on board with. Can you imaging the "As Time Goes By" intro leading off Casablanca? Yikes (and even worse, maybe because of the song)! Another interesting example is Zodiac: the use of the 70's-era WB and Paramount logos (grain, specks, and all) set the stage for the film's diegetic era, to say nothing of the film's general style and feel (had Fincher shot it on 35mm, one could easily mistake it for a contemporary of All the President's Men or Dog Day Afternoon). All to say the studio titles matter, even if in a small way.

While it's not as bad as replacing the studio title card outright, what bothers me almost as much is when standalone contemporary distribution tags which are radically at odds with a film's style and era are placed after the menu screen and before the "official start" of a film. There's nothing like settling in to watch a classic film, pressing play, and having a series super-loud, super-bright CG tags come before the film starts. No reason these can't be before the main menu: it's a simple matter of a studio or distributor having a whit of sensibility regarding the product they're packaging.

Of course, I'm incredibly anal-retentive about these things. And the fact is that studio title card swapping/updating has long been a common practice in theatrical rereleases, to say nothing of how these practices have been a part of international releases since, well, the birth of cinema. It's complicated, interesting to ponder the implications, but ultimately most won't, and shouldn't, lose any sleep over it. Bitching about it is fine, though.
Old 07-12-2009, 05:54 PM
Banned

To this day, I'm irked when either THE EXORCIST or THE SHINING kicks in and the old red & black zoom logo has been replaced. Really set the mood more than the sunny "everything's gonna be alright" feeling conveyed by the current logo. Of course, this practice may be the least of my many complaints when THE EXORCIST hits BD later this year...
Old 07-12-2009, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filmmaker View Post
To this day, I'm irked when either THE EXORCIST or THE SHINING kicks in and the old red & black zoom logo has been replaced. Really set the mood more than the sunny "everything's gonna be alright" feeling conveyed by the current logo. Of course, this practice may be the least of my many complaints when THE EXORCIST hits BD later this year...
Seconded.

The worst example of this was Magnum Force where the red and black zoom logo formed the start of the credit sequence, on DVD it was replaced by the current blue Warner logo. Fortunately, Warner restored the old one for blu ray. Barry Lyndon also uses the black and red logo but that was always left in place for DVD.

As to The Exorcist, it's the version you've never seen that's hitting blu and that has a modern, black and white, Warner logo.