DTS-HD and HBO releases - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 07-12-2009, 09:33 AM

Default DTS-HD and HBO releases

Does anyone know why HBO releases are featuring DTS-HD MA tracks and not trueHD? i would have thought they would be sporting a trueHD track since they're distro'd by WB...but yeah just wonder why it's not the case.
Old 07-12-2009, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ni9ht_5ta1k3r View Post
Does anyone know why HBO releases are featuring DTS-HD MA tracks and not trueHD? i would have thought they would be sporting a trueHD track since they're distro'd by WB...but yeah just wonder why it's not the case.
Much like CBS Video's relationship with Paramount, HBO is its own division and makes the decisions about their releases.

fitprod
Old 07-12-2009, 03:16 PM

It looks like WB is going DTS-HD MA. Watchmen will the first WB release to have a DTS-HD MA soundtrack.
Old 07-12-2009, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffeman View Post
It looks like WB is going DTS-HD MA. Watchmen will the first WB release to have a DTS-HD MA soundtrack.
It looks like Dolby TrueHD is a dying breed if one of its biggest supporters is abandoning it. Who is left, just Paramount and Sony? Wonder why there is so much gravitation to DTS-HD MA?
Old 07-12-2009, 04:40 PM

I believe DTS-MA is more space efficient since you don't need a second track accessible to all players and save lossless-capable customers the trouble of switching tracks. Licensing costs may also be a factor. In the early days, a lot more players and receivers supported TrueHD than DTS-MA, but now, DTS-MA support is pretty common.
Old 07-12-2009, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargamel View Post
It looks like Dolby TrueHD is a dying breed if one of its biggest supporters is abandoning it. Who is left, just Paramount and Sony?
Sony is also moving to DTS-HD MA.

Quote:
Wonder why there is so much gravitation to DTS-HD MA?
The simple truth of the matter is that people have been trained to believe that DTS is a "premium" sound format, and is always superior to Dolby. Even when dealing with lossless codecs that are both 100% identical to their studio masters, and hence 100% identical to each other, placebo effect is so strong that people believe they hear a difference.

Until forced to conduct a double-blind test, of course. At that point, it's obvious that there is no difference to be heard.

Nonetheless, when it comes to marketing, perception is often more important than fact. DTS has fostered the perception of being superior. People believe it. This makes it a useful marketing tool for the studio. The studio can sell more discs if people believe they're getting superior audio, regardless of the actual facts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace_of_Sevens View Post
I believe DTS-MA is more space efficient since you don't need a second track accessible to all players and save lossless-capable customers the trouble of switching tracks.
There's really no need for anyone to manually switch tracks. Warner programs their discs that way, but it isn't required. TrueHD discs from other studios, for example, will automatically drop back to the standard DD 5.1 track if the viewer's hardware isn't compatible with TrueHD. Other than Warner, other studios don't even list DD 5.1 as an option in the menus. The menus just say TrueHD, and the player does the rest.

As far as space is concerned, I've never seen any hard numbers that show whether a TrueHD track plus separate legacy DD 5.1 track takes up more or less space than a DTS-HD Master Audio track. I know that TrueHD itself is more space efficient than DTS-HD MA.

Personally, it doesn't matter to me which format a studio uses. Lossless is lossless is lossless. I do, however, feel that the push toward DTS-HD MA has largely been made for the wrong reasons.

If the studio wants DTS-HD MA because it's more space efficient (assuming that's true), fine. If they get a better licensing deal out of it, fine. But promises of better sound quality, not so much.
Old 07-12-2009, 09:13 PM

I suppose one important reason for preference of DTS-HD MA is the ability to have a 1.5 Mbps DTS core track through optical / coaxial instead of a 640 Kbps DD track. A lot of people still don't have lossless setups, me included. At least to me the 1.5 Mbps DTS core tracks tend to sound better than 640 Kbps DD tracks. I see that as the main advantage of DTS-HD MA.
Old 07-12-2009, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kannisto View Post
I suppose one important reason for preference of DTS-HD MA is the ability to have a 1.5 Mbps DTS core track through optical / coaxial instead of a 640 Kbps DD track. A lot of people still don't have lossless setups, me included. At least to me the 1.5 Mbps DTS core tracks tend to sound better than 640 Kbps DD tracks. I see that as the main advantage of DTS-HD MA.
I also don't have a lossless setup and I agree that the core DTS track sounds better than trueHD downscaled to DD.
Old 07-12-2009, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kannisto View Post
A perfectly valid reason. If nothing else, this is a real advantage that DTS-HD MA has over TrueHD. For that reason, I have no problem with them winning this codec war.

However, it's the claims that the lossless extension of Master Audio is better than TrueHD that are completely unfounded. They are both equal.
Old 07-12-2009, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
A perfectly valid reason. If nothing else, this is a real advantage that DTS-HD MA has over TrueHD. For that reason, I have no problem with them winning this codec war.

However, it's the claims that the lossless extension of Master Audio is better than TrueHD that are completely unfounded. They are both equal.
Yeah, I fully agree with the view that they must be equal when it comes to lossless audio quality.

Just personally hoping for DTS-HD MA to win more ground as I have no plans to update my audio receiver in the near future (mainly because I have no proper space for a large receiver).