Escaflowne Movie Goes Blu-ray - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 07-12-2009, 01:33 AM

Talking Escaflowne Movie Goes Blu-ray

Saw this on another site but figured some of you all did not get to see the announcement. Now I already own the Escaflowne Ultimate Edition DVD set so I won't want for extras since everything available would be non-high-def. Well here's the site: http://www.mania.com/escaflowne-movi...le_116113.html I posted this one since it was first that I saw and had more of a compehensive listing of the release details. Hope you all pick it up, for me it's a double dip without hesitation. Also don't fret too much with price, anime is usually a premium however a bargain can be had if you preorder. Only wished you all could have the Yoko Kanno, Maaya Sakamoto live performance along with the Korean singer and the soundtrack that was included in the one I have. Almost forgot the movie is a great summary of a series, it's too bad the orignal series was not animated for high-def. More to say in later posts perhaps.
Old 07-12-2009, 11:09 AM

I'll buy it, but I would rather have the series over the movie any day. The movie is all right, but the series was amazing.
Old 07-13-2009, 01:38 AM

Agree with Dr.Kain. The series is one of my favourite anime of all time. I'll skip on the high-def upgrade for this unless there's a complete series set coming too (which I highly doubt).
Old 07-15-2009, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxSteling View Post
Almost forgot the movie is a great summary of a series, it's too bad the orignal series was not animated for high-def. More to say in later posts perhaps.
Whether it was "animated" for HD is irrelevant in this case. Except for scenes with digital effects, Escaflowne TV was animated on cels, not digitally, so all it requires is a new telecine for HD. Such a thing already exists: an HD remaster was released in Japan on DVD last year, so a Japanese Blu-ray release of the TV series is pretty inevitable. Hopefully a US release will follow at some point.
Old 07-15-2009, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
I'll buy it, but I would rather have the series over the movie any day. The movie is all right, but the series was amazing.
Yeah, I just bought the series having seen the movie awhile back and the series blows away the movie easily.
Old 07-15-2009, 10:31 PM

Well I'm glad to see more than just me will be purchasing this movie. As for
Quote:
Originally Posted by hissatsu View Post
Whether it was "animated" for HD is irrelevant in this case. Except for scenes with digital effects, Escaflowne TV was animated on cels, not digitally, so all it requires is a new telecine for HD.
the statement is a bit off. To get it right the digital effects would have to be redone. Hopefully the masters are of good enough quality to be scanned for blu-ray otherwise they would be wasting money, to be honest. Since anime is so niche and a tv series sets cost prohibitive to selling well the anime companies would be very wary to produce that. So if you really want to have the tv series come out buy the movie, that's probably the best way to show the companies your interest even if you would normally pass on it. Whenever I pass the anime blu-rays at the local BB the Afro Samurai's and Dragon Ball Z sell however the Freedoms and Samurai 7's won't sell as much. So buy 2 if ya have to and we may just see the tv series.
Old 07-16-2009, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Well I'm glad to see more than just me will be purchasing this movie. As for the statement is a bit off. To get it right the digital effects would have to be redone. Hopefully the masters are of good enough quality to be scanned for blu-ray otherwise they would be wasting money, to be honest. Since anime is so niche and a tv series sets cost prohibitive to selling well the anime companies would be very wary to produce that. So if you really want to have the tv series come out buy the movie, that's probably the best way to show the companies your interest even if you would normally pass on it. Whenever I pass the anime blu-rays at the local BB the Afro Samurai's and Dragon Ball Z sell however the Freedoms and Samurai 7's won't sell as much. So buy 2 if ya have to and we may just see the tv series.
Did you miss the rest of my post? HD masters already exist. They were done for an HD remastered box set release last year in Japan. It's unlikely that the digital effects were redone, which would require reanimating those scenes entirely. As far as I know that hasn't been done for any other release. As for quality, it depends on what Escaflowne was originally made, 16mm or 35mm. Few TV series got made on 35mm film, but Escaflowne was reasonably big budget, so it's possible. Even if it was 16mm and somewhat grainy, I'd still gladly take Blu-rays over the DVDs.
Old 07-16-2009, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Whenever I pass the anime blu-rays at the local BB the Afro Samurai's and Dragon Ball Z sell however the Freedoms and Samurai 7's won't sell as much. So buy 2 if ya have to and we may just see the tv series.
Strangely I avoid the Dragon Ball Z's. I did get the Samurai 7 series as it's one of my favorites, but I stayed away from the Freedom set due to it's high cost. I'd just assume get the DVD set for $20 at RightStuff.

As far as HD animations go though - at least in the cell animated anime it seems to benefit very little from an HD experience due to a lack of detail. Most or at least many anime's color large blocks of area with the same colors, there is little to no detail in those areas that the HD experience would make an sharper or clearer unless the cells were redrawn. Thus big areas of color on the leg of a Gundam in SD look the same as the big areas of white on a Gundam in HD. Besides, upscaling the SD shows pretty much gives what you would be seeing in an HD release.
Old 07-16-2009, 01:41 PM

I picked up all of the DBZ movies, as I have never owned them except the Cooler movies, so they were an easy buy. It is a shame though that they did not remaster the Jp track, as the audio is just plain out dreadful due to how low key it is. That, and the subtitles blend in way too much to the background.
Old 07-16-2009, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godstar View Post
Besides, upscaling the SD shows pretty much gives what you would be seeing in an HD release.
That's mostly true, I guess, except you wouldn't get the annoying "comb effect" lines in fast-action scenes in an HD transfer, would you? I've tried a couple of times to watch some of my anime DVDs in my PS3 and/or HD DVD player and they still come out looking awful.