'The Duchess' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 07-10-2009, 01:44 PM

Default 'The Duchess' - High-Def Digest Review

David has reviewed 'The Duchess.' He says this isn't a standout period piece, but it has enough going for it to keep things entertaining. The Tomatometer on Rotten Tomatoes is at 60%, so this one seems to be a matter of taste. This Blu-ray has good, but slightly disappointing video. Audio is fine, but never gets to stretch its legs. Extras are classy. This one is worth a look.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/1957/duchess.html
Old 07-10-2009, 01:51 PM
Banned

I had hoped to get this on but now I won't be, after having seen such low scores. I saw this in the theaters and liked it. Kiera Knightly, as expected, carried the movie and was just flawless. While it did have a slow pace, it never was boring.
What a shame though.
Old 07-10-2009, 02:11 PM

I want to blind buy this! I like period movies and this looks great. The movie looks to have strong performances
Old 07-10-2009, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mictrmbl View Post
I had hoped to get this on but now I won't be, after having seen such low scores.
I don't want to discourage you from picking this up. As I say in the review, the transfer is perfectly fine, just not standout. Maybe give it a rent first to check it out for yourself.
Old 07-10-2009, 02:59 PM

i thought the movie was surprisingly pretty good, and i'm not a big fan of chick flicks

bd looked good from what i remember, it was the first one i watched on the new tv so my thoughts might be skewed
Old 05-19-2010, 04:54 AM

I read on the rewind forums that the US edition is cut, but the UK edition is uncut. Does anyone know anything about this?
Old 05-19-2010, 05:15 AM

Alternate versions for
The Duchess (2008) More at IMDbPro
ad feedback

* Paramount Vantage preferred a PG-13 version for the United States and in order to get that rating some cuts and alternate shots were used.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0864761/alternateversions
Old 05-19-2010, 10:06 AM

This was a good film that could have been a great one had they gone a little deeper into Georgianna's(sp?) character. She was quite colorful and decadent in real life. They didnt portary that as much as they should have. Still, definitely worth a watch and possibly a buy at the right price.