"North By Northwest" Pre-Order Shows Up!! - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 07-10-2009, 08:22 AM

Default "North By Northwest" Pre-Order Shows Up!!

on amazon.uk
November 16th is the date.
god the wait for a Hitchcock movie has been epic, and still absolutely no word from Universal on any releases from them.
(They control all the 60's and 70's films)
thanks Warner for at least getting the ball rolling.
expect US release at same time or earlier.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002CYIR5...29&camp=211189
Old 07-10-2009, 08:37 AM

The sad part is that Vudu offers a couple of Hitchcock films as HDX rentals. I was actually thinking of giving Psycho a spin in the next couple of weeks.
Old 07-10-2009, 09:37 AM

The worse part is that not only do we have to wait for the US release, we have to wait another year or so after that for the not-in-an-insane-piece-of-luggage-stuffed-with-trinkets US release.
Old 07-10-2009, 09:53 AM

I would be surprised if there isn't a US release around the same time as the already announced UK release - the other 2 classic Warner releases - Gone With the Wind and The Wizard of Oz are both already announced for both the UK and US. I imagine Warner is just finalizing exactly what "insane-piece-of-luggage-stuffed-with-trinkets" to package the US release in. But I'm probably going with the non-stuffed with trinkets UK version for all 3.
Old 07-10-2009, 10:06 AM

When it gets released in the US it will be mine!!
Old 07-10-2009, 12:29 PM

Finally!!!! I can't wait to see the restoration job on this. I hope the US does get the same date.
Old 07-10-2009, 01:10 PM

Looking VERY forward to this, too! Thanks for the heads-up, Arkadin!!
Old 07-10-2009, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctorossi View Post
The worse part is that not only do we have to wait for the US release, we have to wait another year or so after that for the not-in-an-insane-piece-of-luggage-stuffed-with-trinkets US release.
I thought North By Northwest was just going to be a Digibook and not a UCE?
Old 07-10-2009, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super-VHS View Post
I thought North By Northwest was just going to be a Digibook and not a UCE?
Really? Do you recall hearing that from some sort of semi-official source? If so, perhaps that would explain why it's no longer tied in with the Oz and Wind sets in the press releases like it used to be. I really hope that's the case, but I'm not going to hold my breath. Man, would I LOOOOOOOVE a NxNW Digibook!
Old 07-10-2009, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctorossi View Post
Really? Do you recall hearing that from some sort of semi-official source? If so, perhaps that would explain why it's no longer tied in with the Oz and Wind sets in the press releases like it used to be. I really hope that's the case, but I'm not going to hold my breath. Man, would I LOOOOOOOVE a NxNW Digibook!
No, not really. At least not a solid confirmation or anything that's current.

The problem is that any news concerning North by Northwest is over a year old. There are snippets here and there, such as this from HDDs own front page:

Quote:
Future titles earmarked by the studio to receive the "book" treatment include 'Dirty Harry' (due June 3), as well as the as-yet-unscheduled 'Woodstock,' 'Gone with the Wind,' and 'North by Northwest.'
But, as you can see, 2 of the 4 turned into UCE releases and only 1 ended up in digibook. Basically, North could go either way.

There are numerous other mentions from other sites concerning Warners plans for their digibook line but everything is from early 2008. They had plans for digibooks of a Bladerunner re-issue, some of the Potter films, etc and none of that panned out..... so, really, who knows.

Just for reference Amazon still lists their placeholder as a 'Blu-ray Book'..... but Amazon is hardly ever credible when it comes to their placeholders.

It's just my hope for a digibook and not a UCE. And, at least in my mind, North By Northwest fits into the Digibook line much better than it does in the Ultimate Collector's (so do Gone w/the Wind and Oz but I guess that's beside the point and just another reason to believe that we'll get shafted on the first Hitchcock blu.)

Really, I was just going by what was originally planned. But, like I said, who knows what the plan is anymore...