British Blu-ray Booming - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 07-09-2009, 09:54 PM

Default British Blu-ray Booming

According to the British Video Association, roughly 3.1 million Blu-ray discs have sold in the UK since the beginning of this year, a marked increase on the numbers from 2008, up an estimated 231%.

http://www.digitalspy.com/digitaltv/...d-in-2009.html
Old 07-10-2009, 09:54 AM

To be honest... I'm not surprised... I'm about to buy a UK Bluray player.

I imported a US PS3 when HD DVD died as discs were £30 ($60) each which was overpriced and although the highstreet hasn't adopted a healthy pricing policy yet, the online retailers are having sales on discs starting at £7 and since the majority are horror I just have to get in on the Optimum region coded action!!!

Prices are great at the moment... just gotta wait for pay day before I gets my new player... run out of HDMI sockets on my TV though
Old 07-10-2009, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satans Puppet View Post
To be honest... I'm not surprised... I'm about to buy a UK Bluray player.

I imported a US PS3 when HD DVD died as discs were £30 ($60) each which was overpriced and although the highstreet hasn't adopted a healthy pricing policy yet, the online retailers are having sales on discs starting at £7 and since the majority are horror I just have to get in on the Optimum region coded action!!!

Prices are great at the moment... just gotta wait for pay day before I gets my new player... run out of HDMI sockets on my TV though
Then you just might want to import one of these, or research how much they are in the UK -

http://www.monoprice.com/products/su...09&cp_id=10110

3 port HDMI switch for $27.80, or 4 port switch for $29.60. They work great - I used one for some time before getting my AV Receiver with multiple HDMI inputs.

As for the OP, yeah the amount and variety of of blu-ray releases in the UK has exploded this year, online prices much lower, and fortunately (for those in the US), the exchange rate for the British Pound dropped significantly from last year. So far this year I've bought much more BDs from Amazon UK that Amazon.com.

Last edited by Cochise; 07-10-2009 at 04:53 PM.
Old 07-10-2009, 04:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attebery View Post
According to the British Video Association, roughly 3.1 million Blu-ray discs have sold in the UK since the beginning of this year, a marked increase on the numbers from 2008, up an estimated 231%.

http://www.digitalspy.com/digitaltv/...d-in-2009.html
Out of fun curiosity, has the availability of new titles released per week been between 2-3x from the previous week a year before? If so, wouldn't that kinda cancel it out and make it no growth (or in some cases less growth)?
Old 07-10-2009, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD View Post
Out of fun curiosity, has the availability of new titles released per week been between 2-3x from the previous week a year before? If so, wouldn't that kinda cancel it out and make it no growth (or in some cases less growth)?
LOL

Gotta love U Giz always looking for the negative in every BD news, at least you are consistent
Old 07-10-2009, 04:58 PM

This is one of those examples of statistics in a vacuum that make the news less impressive. UK BD sales grew 2X+ times to arrive at 3M sales. Meanwhile SD DVD sales are 100M. 3M vs. 100M.

Selling 3M discs is good stuff, definitely. Just not all that when compared to 100M.
Old 07-10-2009, 06:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pecobas View Post
LOL

Gotta love U Giz always looking for the negative in every BD news, at least you are consistent
No negative, just looking at the growth from last year. You can dismiss the 231% growth as no growth if there has been 2-3x more releases than last year.
Old 07-10-2009, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD View Post
No negative, just looking at the growth from last year. You can dismiss the 231% growth as no growth if there has been 2-3x more releases than last year.
True, but I can give you multiple examples of products that supply doubled over last year and they either tanked (bankrupt) or sales actually dropped.

You are making a linear conclusion - more supply=more purchases - in reality it does not work like that. Yes one can supply more but you have to have demand - simple economics. There are more people who want BD therefore double in sales.

At the same time comix is correct it is only 3M compared to 100M DVD, still niche
Old 07-10-2009, 07:51 PM
Banned

I've always loved the British!
Old 07-11-2009, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by comixguru View Post
This is one of those examples of statistics in a vacuum that make the news less impressive. UK BD sales grew 2X+ times to arrive at 3M sales. Meanwhile SD DVD sales are 100M. 3M vs. 100M.
Fair enought, but your statistic is in a vaccuum too. You are not taking into account the revenue created with the sales. Quite a lot of DVDs sold in the UK are under £5. Big new releases are often sold at huge discounts just to attract customers into supermarkets. The revenue generated by blu-ray will be a lot higher than the £% that you are implying
Quote:
Originally Posted by comixguru View Post
Selling 3M discs is good stuff, definitely. Just not all that when compared to 100M.
If blu-ray continues to double eact year, it will be at 96M in sales in 5 years. Of course there are lots of reasons why it won't double year on year (small houses = small TVs, low HD awareness) but blu-ray is a successful product in the UK and is here to stay.

Mind you, some here did not believe me when I told them that HD DVD was tanking since launch in UK and was effectively DOA.