'UFC: The Best of 2008' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 07-09-2009, 12:38 PM

Default 'UFC: The Best of 2008' - High-Def Digest Review

Nate has reviewed 'UFC: The Best of 2008.' He says this is better than 'Ultimate Comebacks,' but there are still some problems. Overall, this Blu-ray has much improved video, audio, and extras, making it worth a look instead of just being be for fans.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/1948/ufcbest2008.html
Old 07-09-2009, 01:08 PM

The UFC is switching over to Anchor Bay for their releases. Hopefully that means more Blu-ray releases. Their previous titles have been released by First Look Studios.

As for this release I was very satisfied with the PQ of this release. The UFC does not use 5.1 for their broadcasts so I audio is about as good as it's going to get.
Old 07-09-2009, 01:15 PM

I missed some of these on TV and I look forward to checking it out on Blu.
Old 07-09-2009, 01:55 PM

Watching Mir beat Big Nog and Rampage beat Wanderlei (in a completely unneccessary third meeting) made me very sad. I can't wait for Best of 2009 so I can watch Machida KO Evans over and over again though.

Only thing about UFC DVD/Blu Rays that annoy me is that they change the fighter's real entrance music to some stupid rock music (I'm assuming for copyright reasons, but it still sucks). i.e. BJ Penn does not walk out to crazy white rock music and Wanderlei walks out to Sandstorm since ever since.

~G
Old 07-09-2009, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soxguy80 View Post
The UFC is switching over to Anchor Bay for their releases. Hopefully that means more Blu-ray releases. Their previous titles have been released by First Look Studios.

As for this release I was very satisfied with the PQ of this release. The UFC does not use 5.1 for their broadcasts so I audio is about as good as it's going to get.
Yeah I wish they used 5.1 for their broadcasts, but I guess it'll be a while longer, but given how mainstream they are I'm sure their broadcasts are just gonna get better and better. PQ is good.

Blus are definitely lacking in extras. If anything they should just throw more of their promo spike TV stuff on it, or even Dana White's video blogs.

~G
Old 07-09-2009, 02:49 PM

I got this a while ago for $15 at Best Buy. I thought the PQ was very average and there weren't many special features, but I enjoyed it anyways since I missed almost all of the fights on the disc.
Old 07-09-2009, 03:44 PM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soxguy80 View Post

interesting! i hope anchor bay puts out more per year as well. the more ufc on blu we get, the more ufc on blu i'm buyin'
Old 07-09-2009, 10:46 PM

Not that this title is for me at all, but all interests aside, that is completely ridiculous that they spread the feature over two single layers instead of one dual. Is making 2 singles cheaper than making 1 dual? In any case, I wouldn't think it was cheaper by a lot. It would be a little more forgivable if disc 2 was bonus features, but the feature spread over 2 singles? A lot of people in the industry need to take a blu-ray 101 class.
Old 07-10-2009, 09:50 AM

A definite buy for me -- at any price!