Blu-ray To Remain Dominant Until 2015 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 07-08-2009, 05:04 PM

Default Blu-ray To Remain Dominant Until 2015

According to PriceWaterhouseCoopers, high quality video and sluggish net connections are keeping streaming and ‘instant on’ services from gaining a foothold.
Old 07-08-2009, 05:31 PM

I sure hope this is the case. I prefer physical media anyday.
Old 07-08-2009, 09:06 PM
Banned

This is the same reason I don't do PPV, even if it is in high definition, which it really isn't. 1080i video which is so compressed that it looks worse than standard definition, not to mention the over-cropping. Lossy 5.1 which is very weak at best. I don't think so.

Rock on !
Old 07-08-2009, 09:13 PM

A big LOL at people who think streaming is going to overtake physical media anytime soon.
Old 07-08-2009, 09:40 PM

Exactly.

What the downloading/streaming fanboys continually ignore is the much greater technical and market obstacles that HD downloading and streaming options have to overcome compared to Blu-ray. The limited bandwidth for most U.S. households is just the first technical/market hurdle among many. This doesn't even include the caps that some ISPs have begun implementing.

And even for those select households that have fast enough connections with no downloading limits, the other issue that very few downloading/streaming advocates acknowledge is simply the unsettled and balkanized universe of viewing options. Right now, you've got incompatible devices competing for shelf space (both in stores and living rooms), differing formats, differing price plans, differing studio alliances, etc. The online options range from set-top boxes to video gaming consoles to media PCs to connected TVs, all of which have significant drawbacks and varying levels of complexity that the consumer has to sort through. Plus, you have a multitude of content providers, with both considerable overlap and programming gaps -- not a good combination. At some point, the market will settle down, but the inevitable shakedown hasn't even started yet.

These hurdles must be overcome, because the vast majority of people watch TV programs on TVs. Solutions to this problem remain elusive IMO because TV viewing by its nature is not an interactive medium like the internet. People are fine with watching short snippets on YouTube, but the Ball State/Nielson study on actual TV viewing habits found that computers and the internet make up a very small fraction of the viewing time for TV programs and movies.

In contrast, Blu-ray has already gone through its early adoption phase, and has begun gradually making its way into the mainstream market. Blu-ray is simply at a much more advanced stage in its market uptake, and better positioned for short-term growth than downloading/streaming, which are still in their infancy and have numerous hurdles to overcome.
Old 07-08-2009, 09:51 PM

I guess the next "next gen" consoles will support BD.
Old 07-08-2009, 10:09 PM

Doesn't take a genius to figure that one out.

Yet the Playboy Advisor disagrees. Was gonna email a rebuttal but time flew by and now don't remember which month (or year) it was discussed.
Old 07-08-2009, 10:39 PM

looks like I was right all along.

Bow before me.
Old 07-08-2009, 11:09 PM

I just dont get the Downloading HD movies. I would much rather have the media in my hand. Hard drives and Computers go up, files are deleted then what? Blu-ray is amazing and I will support it until the end.
Old 07-08-2009, 11:23 PM

This is kind of like....no shit Sherlock.