Logan's Run- what kind of transfer? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 07-07-2009, 04:41 PM

Default Logan's Run- what kind of transfer?

I hear that Logan's Run is coming to Blu-ray soon and though it was produced by MGM, WB has the rights and is putting out the Blu-ray. Given WB's track record I am a little concerned as I really liked this movie. They have shown they can do an awesome job on old films (Quo Vadis, Viva Las Vegas) to a horrible job (even on recent ones, take your pick.)

Anyone have any insight on how WB will handle the Logan's Run transfer? Is the film and fan base important enough that they will do a great job as they have shown they can do, or is this likely to be a halfassed attempt like Paramount did on most of the Star Trek film Blu-rays?
Old 07-07-2009, 07:48 PM

I dunno, what would you consider their bad-looking catalog titles?
Old 07-07-2009, 09:16 PM

Well, The Wedding Singer looked pretty bad, and it is a lot newer than Logan's Run. If Logan's Run was the same quality of transfer I'd just as soon they not come out with it on Blu-ray now and wait for a proper restoration.
Old 07-07-2009, 09:42 PM

Well, breezing through the Blu-ray.com review, it looks like excessive DNR was the big problem. 'The Wedding Singer' is a New Line Cinema release, and bad transfers of that type seem to have been a New Line problem, both before and after WB started releasing them. My guess is that WB didn't bother redoing some crummy-looking masters when they took over and went on releasing stuff that was already (badly) prepared, but that the masters they make themselves are typically much better (including other New Line movies). 'Logan's Run' would fall into the latter—unless they decided not to update their own made-for-DVD master from however many years ago, which I'd doubt—so I think it'll be all right.

100% hypothesis, though.
Old 07-08-2009, 04:03 AM

I can't think of a single old WB title that I've been disappointed with. They kicked butt with The Adv of Robin Hood, Searchers, Rio Bravo, Casablanca, Grand Prix, and Forbidden Planet. I'll definitely expect a solid release...
Old 07-08-2009, 08:49 AM

Logan´s Run.
Now there´s a title I´d love to see in it´s 2hr 15min 1976 San Diego preview version.

I would expect they have a dig into the vaults to at least look for the footage removed including the said to be R rated strength, nudity and violence...
Old 07-09-2009, 01:22 AM

Yeah, I hope it'll be as close to the full cut as possible. For such an old title, I don't really expect it to get a fantastic transfer.
Old 07-09-2009, 01:53 AM

I doubt they did a full restoration for it, so don't go in expecting Quo Vadis.

Although I didn't think they'd restore something like Quo Vadis either so...
Old 07-10-2009, 05:46 AM

I don't see why we can't get the full cut and a great transfer, Blade Runner did.
Old 07-10-2009, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by themisfit138 View Post
I don't see why we can't get the full cut and a great transfer, Blade Runner did.
Blade Runner was painstakingly restored. All of its SFX shots were actually recomposited from the original film elements. That's a very expensive and time-consuming process.

Logan's Run doesn't have anywhere near the audience or sales potential that Blade Runner has. I doubt any studio would spend that kind of money on it.