Sony poll about subtitle placement! - High-Def Digest Forums
Closed Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 10:00 AM

Default Sony poll about subtitle placement!

Ok folks, we finally have a real chance to make a difference and have Sony Pictures place the subtitles of their scope films inside the picture area where they belong!

Subtitles in the lower black bar are a major problem for users with CIH (Cinemascope) setups because they just disappear in the masking!

Link to the subtitles poll:
Poll: Subtitle positioning in wider ratio (2.20+) movies on Sony Blu-ray Discs - Blu-ray Forum

Last edited by Cochise; 07-11-2009 at 04:55 PM. Reason: Excessive external links
Old 07-05-2009, 11:17 AM

This issue is very serious to some of us. If you're on the fence about this or don't care one way or the other, please read that entire thread to learn about the issue before voting. If you're still undecided, I ask that you don't vote. A vote of "I don't care" will be read in the column of Sony not doing anything to fix this problem. Apathy and indifference don't help anyone.

It may not matter to you, but this problem makes foreign language movies unwatchable to some viewers. I'm not just saying that because we don't like the way it looks. I literally mean the movie can't be watched. How do you follow a foreign language movie if half the subtitles are missing from your screen?

Even if it makes no difference to you personally, please have consideration for the needs of others. Thank you.
Old 07-05-2009, 02:00 PM

Subtitle tracks take up next to no space on the disc.

Why don't they put them on twice and give you an option to place in or out of the black bars when you select the language you want?
Old 07-05-2009, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Banana View Post

Why don't they put them on twice and give you an option to place in or out of the black bars when you select the language you want?
Good point & suggestion. Or implement what was on HD DVD - you can use the 'C' & 'D' buttons on the remote to change the font size and move the subtitle position from black bars to within the film frame, or vice versa (useful on titles with forced subs that are not needed)
Old 07-05-2009, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cochise View Post
Good point & suggestion. Or implement what was on HD DVD - you can use the 'C' & 'D' buttons on the remote to change the font size and move the subtitle position from black bars to within the film frame, or vice versa (useful on titles with forced subs that are not needed)
I didn't know that about HD DVD subtitles. I'm off to see if I've got any subtitled HD DVDs to try it out on.
Old 07-05-2009, 02:42 PM

Quote:

yeah, that's what i was thinking

i personally like them on the black bar, but i can understand it that others like them on the picture
Old 07-05-2009, 02:49 PM

Keep them in the picture -- I want and payed much money for an authentic theater experience.
Unfollow me at twitter: @MEnoisDuarte

Movies are so rarely great art that if we cannot appreciate great trash
we have very little reason to be interested in them.

~ Pauline Kael
Old 07-05-2009, 03:05 PM

Quote:
I didn't know that about HD DVD subtitles. I'm off to see if I've got any subtitled HD DVDs to try it out on.

It was usually on the foreign language flicks that it did that on.

The French HD DVD of Brotherhood of the Wolf, for example.
Old 07-05-2009, 03:07 PM

As a non english language guy by mothers tongue I have to say I prefer the subtitles on the black bar for several reasons.
Old 07-05-2009, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eNoize View Post
Keep them in the picture -- I want and payed much money for an authentic theater experience.
but it could be looked at in another way... in most films, the filmmaker never intended for the film to be subtitled in the first place, so putting them on the picture ruins the intended look of the original shot.

the only exceptions to this are things like Apocalypto, where the film always has subtitles. or films like Transformers when the aliens are speaking.

but having said that, i only like it when they're FULLY in the black. if it's half and half, it looks ridiculous, and i'd rather have them fully on the picture. but there seems to be plenty of room in the black for a full 2 lines of subtitles, so there's no excuse for half & half.

they really should be able to give us the option though, like kid banana said.
Closed Thread