'Hardware' is coming September 29 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 07-01-2009, 07:25 PM

Default 'Hardware' is coming September 29

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/2544/hardware.html
Old 07-01-2009, 07:44 PM

I've hear a few good things about this. Rental first.
Old 07-01-2009, 08:04 PM

I hate to sound like a big cheeseball here but this news just made my day. Hardware is one of my alltime favorite sci-fi flicks.

I hate to sound like an even bigger cheeseball here but I can't wait to tell my Mom. She loooooooovesssss this movie. She's the one who told me to check this out back in like '91(?).

Anyways, can't wait. It's just like Christmas.
Old 07-01-2009, 08:17 PM

Cool!

I know some of us already have the import copy, no need to double dip.
Old 07-01-2009, 10:19 PM

Here's what little I remember of this movie:

Picture this conversation in 1990. I'm in 10th grade. I thought it was really cool to have my hair slicked back with gel. A lot of gel. So much gel you could bounce a rock off my head and I probably wouldn't feel it. My buddy Jason was most likely wearing a Quicksilver TV shirt and shorts that were a different color on each leg.

Jason: "So I went to the mall and saw Hardware this weekend."
Me: "Yeah? I heard that was totally rad."
Jason: "Who told you that? They were totally lying! It SUUUUUUCCCKKED!!!"
Me: "Dude, that sucks."
Jason: "Yeah, man, tell me about it."

Budding film critics, we were.

I did eventually see it on video. All I really recall is the song "This is What You Want Want, This is What You Get Get..." being played about 20 times. There's a robot or something in it, right?

Maybe I'll have to check this one out again.
Old 07-02-2009, 01:45 AM

Best post ever?

All I can picture now are Body Glove, Badboy, Quicksilver shirts, and slick hair.

Keep up the good work, good sir.
Old 07-02-2009, 04:30 AM

I will be interested to see how it compares to the recent Optimum release on Blu-ray which is very good.
Much neglected on DVD, it is great to see Hardware at last getting the release on that it deserves.

Hopefully a whole new audience will discover the joys of this Richard Stanley gem.
Old 07-02-2009, 04:35 AM

I actually just watched this for the first time today (The entire thing is on YouTube in decent quality, actually, I don't know if it's public domain or what) and I'm not even sure what I think about it yet.

It definitely doesn't feel like a movie that's 19 years old and it certainly looks unique, especially for a movie filmed for only $1.5 million. It really borders between a cheesy early 90s straight-to-vhs gorefest and a independent horror gem. Regardless, though, it's definitely worth watching, especially for horror fans looking for something different.
Old 07-02-2009, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dack View Post
I actually just watched this for the first time today (The entire thing is on YouTube in decent quality, actually, I don't know if it's public domain or what) and I'm not even sure what I think about it yet.

It's definitely doesn't feel like a movie that's 19 years old and it certainly looks unique, especially for a movie filmed for only $1.5 million. It really borders between a cheesy early 90s straight-to-vhs gorefest and a independent horror gem. Regardless, though, it's definitely worth watching, especially for horror fans looking for something different.
I agree. I remember watching it on vhs back in the day adn liking it. I guess "robot" movies are coming to blu ray and (back) in a big way thanks to Transformers. Marketing thing. That's cool.
Old 07-02-2009, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dack View Post

It definitely doesn't feel like a movie that's 19 years old and it certainly looks unique, especially for a movie filmed for only $1.5 million. It really borders between a cheesy early 90s straight-to-vhs gorefest and a independent horror gem. Regardless, though, it's definitely worth watching, especially for horror fans looking for something different.
A big reason behind the lack of DVD releases were the ongoing battles over rights ownership which have only recently been resolved, hence the recent optical releases.
One of the Youtube trailers has been withdrawn for the following reason:
"This video has been removed due to terms of use violation."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDb78_uOvpc

If the film is up there on Youtube in its entirety, then it won't be staying there much longer because 'In The Public Domain' this movie most definitely ain't.