'Friday the 13th Part 3 (in 3-D)' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 07-01-2009, 05:54 PM

Default 'Friday the 13th Part 3 (in 3-D)' - High-Def Digest Review

Peter has reviewed 'Friday the 13th Part 3 (in 3-D).' He says this is still one of his favorites. This Blu-ray has remastered audio and video, but they're nothing stellar. Some good supplements with an extremely handsome, talented, and insightful young expert named Peter Bracke discussing the series. Friday Fans will want to pick this one up.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/2298...13thpart3.html
Old 07-01-2009, 06:02 PM

I can't believe Peter gave the PQ 2.5 stars and then called it "pretty good." It's pretty bad IMO. After seeing the first two movies on Blu-ray I had much higher expectations for the rest of the series. Then came along part 3. What a letdown. Oh well, at least it's not one of my favorite F13's but still. I expect more from the studios than this. Note that I didn't watch the 3D version yet though I will next time I view this disc.
Old 07-01-2009, 06:25 PM

I thought the 3D looked much better on this than on the regular DVD 3D, I guess because the image was sharper. It also didn't hurt my eyes.

Despite its flaws, I still enjoy this film and thought it had some of the best creative kills in a Friday film (mainly the guy walking on his hands). It reminds me of what the reboot sorely missed out on.
Old 07-01-2009, 07:41 PM

I watched some of this recently and the video quality is pretty bad, and that's with my low expectations.
Old 07-01-2009, 11:09 PM

Boring technical note: the picture quality is iffy but I wouldn't blame the transfer. This was filmed with 3-Depix, which is the Techniscope of 3D filming—instead of two cameras or even two separate filmstrips, it uses one reel at a time and puts two wide images on top of one another in each 4:3 film frame. The result is an image with half the visible detail of something like Panavision (where it's one widescreen frame per 4:3 film frame, instead of two). I doubt it's ever going to look much better than this.

I have to say I was pleasantly surprised at how well the 3D worked on this. I thought anaglyph was hopeless, and was all about field-sequential 3D for home video until something better comes along...but this actually works about as well as the field-sequential version I already have. It has the usual ugly colors, but the 3D is much more effective and less ghosty than I was expecting. (Too bad the 3D part doesn't kick in until after the opening credits, though; I wonder how that happened.)
Old 07-02-2009, 12:12 AM

Kind of a disappointing review. May have to hold off on this one. I'll check out some other reviews before I cast judgment, but HDD is usually the one I go with.
Old 07-02-2009, 10:22 AM

By far my favorite F13 film (followed by 1, 2 @4)
the video and audio are not that impressive, but I am overjoyed that Paramount finally released this in 3-D and showing some love to the fans!
Old 09-17-2011, 07:11 AM

Default Friday 3

It's not my favorite, but I love it in all its three-dimensional glory just the same. Jason finally gets his beloved hockey mask, and seeing him thrust it at the screen and through Chris's van window in the theatre was bliss.
Old 06-06-2013, 11:58 PM

If this film ever gets a proper restoration and a real 3D release, I wonder if many would consider it worthy of a re-release theatrically.....