Paramount better treat Transformers RotF the same way WB did with TDK - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 06-27-2009, 02:11 AM

Default Paramount better treat Transformers RotF the same way WB did with TDK

I saw Revenge of the Fallen in the Imax the other night, and it was freaking amazing. Paramount better do what WB did with The Dark Knight and put the Imax footage on the Blu-Ray edition even though they never bothered to do it with the first movie.
Old 06-27-2009, 03:01 AM

i didn't think that the first Transformers went to full screen during some scenes in imax

didn't it have the same aspect ratio through the whole film?
Old 06-27-2009, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skycracksopen View Post
i didn't think that the first Transformers went to full screen during some scenes in imax

didn't it have the same aspect ratio through the whole film?

It didn't. They just blew up the print to show on the IMAX screen in regular Scope ratio like in regular theaters. Transformers: RotF though did the same process of TDK and filmed a few scenes with the actual IMAX cameras/film stock.
Old 06-27-2009, 03:46 AM

I hope Paramount doesn't give the same treatment for Transformers to that WB did with Dark Knight.

The Dark Knight blu-ray had some noticeable edge enhancement to it. It's not nearly as noticeable on the IMAX sequences, but once you get to the standard stuff, you start to be able to notice the EE on TDK.

Transformers RotF definitely has potential to beat out TDK in visuals, but we'll see. I may just go to see this movie again in the IMAX theater soon...
Old 06-27-2009, 03:49 AM

Hopefully, they'll include seamless branching for people with constant height systems.
Old 06-27-2009, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
I saw Revenge of the Fallen in the Imax the other night, and it was freaking amazing. Paramount better do what WB did with The Dark Knight and put the Imax footage on the Blu-Ray edition even though they never bothered to do it with the first movie.
i'm sure it will. i think bay just mentioned this week that the blu-ray would have it. being paramount instead of warner at least we won't have to change the audio track manually to truehd every time i put the disc in. i hate the warner blu-rays that default to plain old dd, my only complaint with the DK blu-ray. at least have menus so we can change it to lossless before the movie starts. the sky is the limit with ROTF on blu-ray. imo, it has the best vfx and sound of any movie i've seen in theaters. hope it does the same on blu. hopefully bay gives this blu-ray encode his personal attention, frame by frame.
Old 06-27-2009, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
The first Transformers was not shot with IMAX scenes and even available in the IMAX the first time around. Michael Bay announced this week that Transformers 2 would get the variable treatement just like DK did on the BD disc. Paramount will have at least an 5.1 DTHD 24-bit audio track for Transformers 2 and it will sound insane and even more explosive than the first movie did on BD. The first TF is one of the best sounding BD's on the format. Here is one place it is mentioned over are at the Blu-ray site, but it is mentioned on other sites as well.

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=2977
Old 06-27-2009, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Liu View Post
I hope Paramount doesn't give the same treatment for Transformers to that WB did with Dark Knight.

The Dark Knight blu-ray had some noticeable edge enhancement to it. It's not nearly as noticeable on the IMAX sequences, but once you get to the standard stuff, you start to be able to notice the EE on TDK.

Transformers RotF definitely has potential to beat out TDK in visuals, but we'll see. I may just go to see this movie again in the IMAX theater soon...
Agreed. I can't stand the shifting aspect ratios.
Old 06-28-2009, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalFreakNYC View Post
they didnt bother me in the least bit in tdk and i barely noticed them, and i can't understand why anyone wouldnt want certain scenes blown up to match the imax scenes because they are magnificent and 1000 times better than blu-ray itself.
Old 06-28-2009, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalFreakNYC View Post
He's not talking about shifting aspects, he's talking about Edge Enhancement. From my understanding, the Edge Enhancement and DNR in TDK were part of the IMAX print. That's what IMAX does when it upconverts 35mm films for presentation on IMAX screens. Warner Brothers simply used the IMAX print of the film for the Blu-ray instead of using separate source material (regular 35mm print and the 70mm IMAX footage). They apparently didn't think it was worth it to splice the footage together from separate sources for the Blu-ray.