'Knowing' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 06-26-2009, 01:19 PM

Default 'Knowing' - High-Def Digest Review

Josh has reviewed 'Knowing.' He says you can skip this one. The only fun he had was watching his office building get blown up in a geographically inaccurate recreation of Boston. This Blu-ray has excellent video and audio, but they can't save the movie itself. Rent it if you must, but he's warned you.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/2333/knowing.html
Old 06-26-2009, 01:31 PM

one of the worst movie i've ever seen, alongside with "are we done yet". i'd rather skip it... ill give you a hint. if you didn't like the 4th Indy, you better take your eyes out to see this one.
Old 06-26-2009, 01:43 PM

Based off the fact that this is by Proyas, and Ebert was pretty much the only reviewer to give Dark City 4 stars when it was new, and this is the first 4 star review he's given Proyas since, I'm really anxious to see it. Many people regard Dark City as great now, but Ebert was really alone back in '98. Now he's pretty alone on this one. I disagree with him plenty, but I think he's been pretty spot-on with Proyas so far. Never made it out to the theater while it was still playing. Would be a blind buy if I had the money, but will probably have to rent it for now.
Old 06-26-2009, 01:43 PM

I forgot all about this movie. I remember seeing the trailer for this just recently. Pass for me on this.
Old 06-26-2009, 02:08 PM

Josh:

In the article you say this:

"However, as smart a guy as Proyas seems to be, why is it that he can't recognize how badly his movie turned out?"

You've probably listened to many more commentaries than I have, but I've never heard a director effectively trash his own movie in the commentary. Were you being facetious here or were you being serious? If the latter, have you ever heard a director admit he made a bad film on a commentary? I certainly haven't.
Old 06-26-2009, 02:11 PM

i liked it quite a bit.
Old 06-26-2009, 02:12 PM

This movie started out with great potential but they messed it up in the second and third act. I didn't mind the that kind of an ending but it was badly directed and play out poorly.

Another good premise gone to waste.
Old 06-26-2009, 02:32 PM

The only reason I went to see this movie was because of the Ebert review. I have to say, I was just floored by this one. This is, by far, the best movie that I've seen all year. It's right up there with Dark City.
Old 06-26-2009, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMaustus View Post
You've probably listened to many more commentaries than I have, but I've never heard a director effectively trash his own movie in the commentary. Were you being facetious here or were you being serious? If the latter, have you ever heard a director admit he made a bad film on a commentary? I certainly haven't.
I was being facetious.

However, I'm pretty sure that I have heard at least one commentary where the director admitted that the movie was a dog. Can't think of it off the top of my head, though. I admit that it's rare.

The Ben Affleck commentary on the Criterion DVD of Armageddon is a riot.
Old 06-26-2009, 02:37 PM

I totally disagree with about everything said in here so far, sure the movie takes a lot of things we've seen before and used them, but everything about it IMO was highly entertaining and suspenseful, the plane crash, while looking fake somewhat, was superb film making IMO.....not to mention the whole thing was filmed in one take one shot and I thought it was fantastic, same with the subway disaster, while yes it was kind of fake looking (what CGI isnt anymore?) it was really a more brutal accident scene that I've seen in a while, especially for a PG-13 movie, having watched it twice I picked up on more things that really worked well and of course the ending IMO was pretty controversial with regards to science and religion.....

With a almost 5 score on video and sound this is one I'm going to pick up, the friends I recently watched it with loved it and thought it was awesome, and I'm sorry but saying this is as bad as an Ice Cube movie is really reaching

Oh and wondering why the director doesnt think his movie is a piece of crap could be the fact that he doesnt think its a piece of crap, your opinion doesnt mean anything to how he feels, you think he made a terrible film and thats really where it ends