"Star Trek" (2009) BD Details - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 06-24-2009, 12:05 PM

Default "Star Trek" (2009) BD Details

Quote:
Although Paramount Home Entertainment will not officially confirm any details, TrekMovie and the Digital Bits have confirmed with sources that the reports are (for the most part) accurate. Details below.

TrekMovie has previously reported that there will likely be three home video versions of the Star Trek movie: standard widescreen DVD, special edition DVD set, and special edition Blu-ray. The details out of Germany from Filme-Bluray.de and AreaDVD.de are for the Blu-ray, but could also apply to the special edition DVD set. Bear in mind that there can be variations between different regions, and also this is not an official release from Paramount, so this should not be considered final. However, except for some of the naming, sources indicate the below list is accurate.

Star Trek (2009 movie) Blu-ray Details

Technical

Picture: 2.35:1 (1080p)
Sound: German Dolby Digital 5.1, English Dolby True HD 5.1, English Audio Description, Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1, Italian Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: German, English and others

Extras:

Audio commentary (JJ Abrams, Bryan Burke, Alex Kurtzman, Damon Lindelof, Roberto Orci)

Featurettes:
-Where no man has gone before:
-The Shatner conundrum
-The redshirt guy,
-The green girl
-Trekker alert!

Casting
-A new vision ("Savage Pressure")

Starships:
-Warp explained
-Painting work
-Accelerated bridge construction
-The captain’s chair
-Operating the buttons
-Shuttle shuffle
-Accelerated Narada construction
-Aliens:
-The alien paradox
-The girl with the big eyes
-Big pro Quinto
-Klingons
-Drakoulias anatomy 101

Planets:
-Additional businesses
-Confidentiality

Equipment and costumes: Klingon costumes
Sound
Music
Gene Roddenberry’s vision

Deleted scenes:
-Spock’s birth
-Klingons capture Narada
-Young Kirk, Johnny and Uncle Frank
-Amanda and Sarek argue after Spock’s fight
-Interrogation and escape from prison
-Sarek and Amanda
-Bedroom and Kobayashi Maru (original version)
-Kirk apologizes to the green girl
-Sarek sees Spock Prime

Starfleet vessel simulator (probably BD only)
Star Trek gag reel

Trailers:
-Teaser trailer
-Theatrical trailer "The wait is over"
-Theatrical trailer "Prepare for the beginning"
-Theatrical trailer "Buckle up"

Star Trek: D-A-C demo (trailer) for XBOX 360
BD Live options

As for the release date, Amazon Germany has it listed for October 5th. Paramount Home Entertainment is not confirming any release dates or details. However, sources indicate that the date is likely accurate for Europe, but that the US date could be later, possibly late October or November.
http://trekmovie.com/2009/06/24/deta...eted-scenes-2/

Would have loved a Director's Cut with the deleted scenes re-inserted (and finished with special effects in the event that they have not been like most of the Star Trek DVDs of days past failed to do). Still, it is Paramount so they most likely will be double dipping in less than a year.
Old 06-24-2009, 12:10 PM

Star Treak 2009 was amazing. Don't ruin it with a director's cut!
Old 06-24-2009, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skywalkr2 View Post
Star Treak 2009 was amazing. Don't ruin it with a director's cut!
I absolutely loved it, the pacing was just right so perhaps you are correct that a DC would ruin it. However, the one thing that I felt it could have used a bit more of as a long-time fan was character moments within the context of the individual origin story as opposed to the crew origin. Besides 1 scene with boy Kirk, one scene with boy Spock, and one scene with pre-Starfleet Academy Spock we saw nothing about the two central figures to the entire franchise. I'd like to see a few more scenes showing us the origins of Spock and Kirk before they show up at the Academy...

Either that or a hell of a lot more Karl Urban as 'Bones,' I just can't get enough of that guy!
Old 06-24-2009, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElwoodJD View Post
However, the one thing that I felt it could have used a bit more of as a long-time fan was character moments within the context of the individual origin story as opposed to the crew origin.
While I agree, I suppose we could counter argue that TOS never gave us those individual origins either. Technically this film gives a far more grounded origin to the characters than the series ever did.

Fortunately the minor nitpicks that most of us have with the film don't particularly detract from the fact that this was one freaking awesome movie Can't wait for the BD.
Old 06-24-2009, 01:51 PM

Wow, I wish I could have enjoyed the film as much as you guys did, but I was disappointed. The movie was too much Michael Bay in space (but without Bruce Willis) with a splash of 90210 (The OC for you younger folks) and was severely lacking in honest character development.

I guess I'm more of a fan of the slower paced, more cerebral Star Trek.
Old 06-24-2009, 01:55 PM

having just watched 1-6 after never seeing them when i was younger then seeing the new one, i came out a pretty big fan, i liked them all

looking forward to this
Old 06-24-2009, 02:11 PM

I'm holding out (small) hope that Paramount will release a movie chat with this one.
Old 06-24-2009, 02:19 PM

october 5th works for me. that is my birthday.

Jacob
Old 06-24-2009, 02:31 PM

Awesome film. Not since the Dark Knight have I been this excited about a movie. Can't wait for this on blu; the PQ should be amazing. Only disappointment is that there isn't a cast commentary, unless that changes.
Old 06-24-2009, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Area51 View Post
Awesome film. Not since the Dark Knight have I been this excited about a movie. Can't wait for this on blu; the PQ should be amazing. Only disappointment is that there isn't a cast commentary, unless that changes.
Yeah..I was a bit surprised not to see a cast commentary of some sort and a PIP feature. But, as you said, maybe that will change as its home release gets closer. I cant wait to see this one again in !!