'Indecent Proposal' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 06-23-2009, 10:24 PM

Default 'Indecent Proposal' - High-Def Digest Review

E has reviewed 'Indecent Proposal.' He says this is an entertaining enough film. This Blu-ray has pretty average video and audio and a fairly uninteresting commentary. For fans only.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/2195...tproposal.html
Old 06-24-2009, 09:59 AM

why does this even exist on blu ray?
Old 06-24-2009, 10:56 AM

I admit this probably has the most obtrusive grain of any film i've watched.
Old 06-24-2009, 12:54 PM

This is terrible news. As a action-junkee primarily, this is maybe the only romantic-drama/comedy that I really like. Is the picture quality so bad that I should really think about not purchasing this if I own the SD DVD?
Old 06-24-2009, 01:27 PM

no purchase for me
Old 06-24-2009, 01:41 PM
formerly Blu Christmas

Quote:
And it may not be all that good, but it's still an amusing watch and an easy diversion for those nights when you want to snuggle with your significant other, forget about the real world, and feel reassured about why you fall in love at all.
Of all the movies out there - why would anyone pick this one to "snuggle with their significant other" with?

Not sure how a couple's decision to accept money for sex (and then regret it) is a romantic movie in any way.

Never cared for the film (it's really just a depressing story) - but too bad the blu-ray isn't up to par for the fans of the film. Don't understand why we would have any bad transfers at this late date.
Old 06-24-2009, 03:50 PM

^^Well, that's definitely a matter of opinion. The film's largest fanbase, at the time of release and even today, is a female audience that clearly view it as a romantic drama. And like any romance tale, it's all about the inevitable conclusion that makes it a love story.

Fall in love with no financial stress, or be in love with life's struggles at a constant? Lyne's movie offers an answer to that and hence:

Quote:
feel reassured about why you fall in love at all
I don't find it depressing at all (you can watch 'Revolutionary Road' for that), since the movie does exactly what it intended to accomplish.
Unfollow me at twitter: @MEnoisDuarte

Movies are so rarely great art that if we cannot appreciate great trash
we have very little reason to be interested in them.

~ Pauline Kael
Old 06-24-2009, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amiable-Akuma View Post
This is terrible news. As a action-junkee primarily, this is maybe the only romantic-drama/comedy that I really like. Is the picture quality so bad that I should really think about not purchasing this if I own the SD DVD?
Personally, I don't find the upgrade worthwhile, especially if you have a player with good upconversion capabilities.

I actually like the movie as well -- a guilty pleasure (but I don't deny its weaknesses). Only improvement I really found was in colors and slightly in details.

Give it a rent though and compare.
Unfollow me at twitter: @MEnoisDuarte

Movies are so rarely great art that if we cannot appreciate great trash
we have very little reason to be interested in them.

~ Pauline Kael
Old 06-24-2009, 11:14 PM

To kind of sum of the movie, I think it simply makes a point that ultimately you can't buy love. Redford's character wanted it to be true but ultimately wasn't. It also is a kind of ode to the kind of love they had that they could withstand such an event and still find themselves back with each other. Also a cautionary tale about opening a "Pandora's Box" situation.

Oh well... that's how I see it.