How to quickly recognize a faulty disc - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 06-23-2009, 08:54 PM

Default How to quickly recognize a faulty disc

I'm starting to get worried...

Before, I never had issues but in the last 4 months I have had 3 faulty Blu-ray discs, 2 of which in my latest purchases that came this week:
- Prince Caspian
- Chronicles of Riddick
- Underworld Rise of the Lycans

I bought all of them at Amazon and fortunately can get a replacement. However, they only replace if you mention the problems within a month after purchase. I tend to build up a library of discs and as such always have some (especially box sets) that take more than a month to watch.

My question is simple: Is there a software tool that can help me quickly analyze a BD for errors on a computer with a BD drive or on a PS3?

My normal player is a PS3 but I also have access to a Viao notebook with BD drive. If such software is available, it would enable me to perform a quick check on my new arrivals after which I can then watch them at a later date, when I want to. I simply cannot proof-watch every second of every disc within a month after purchase hnoes:

With 3 of my total 169 discs containing errors (each time it's a frame skipping error) and some 30 of those still unwatched, I'm starting to feel anxious.

Any help or suggestions would really be appreciated!
Old 06-23-2009, 09:42 PM

I know what you mean. I've already been burned by a bad Godfather disc which was outside Amazon's return window. I emailed Paramount and after a week they finally decided they would not replace it. I buy discs at a slower rate now so that won't happen again. It's pretty bad when a company will not stand behind their products. I will not be buying any more new Paramount titles. Used is another story.
Old 06-24-2009, 03:53 AM

I'm sorry to hear that, daddywags. It's indeed risky to build up a little stock of unwatched blu's as they may fall outside of the 'warranty' period by the time you get to watching them.

On the other hand, I sometimes buy blu's during sale periods and it's impossible to watch everything in the time span of 1 month then. During Amazon's Hi-def sale, I bought a total of 18 disc, of which 3 are part of a TV series (which take longer to watch). I'm sure I won't be able to watch all that in just one month.

And I totally agree with you that studios should back up their product. It doesn't matter to me when the disc was purchased, if there are no apparent scratches on it and it doesn't play correctly, they should replace it at least up to one year after purchase date, because that would clearly indicate a pressing or mastering error.

That's why I think being able to quickly and effectively scan a blu-ray for errors would be a tremendous asset. Without watching the disc, you can reassure yourself you won't have a problem once you get to watching it, or if there is a problem, you'll be able to contact the shop within a reasonable time.

For DVD's, I used to let DVDShrink and/or DVD Decrypter have a go at them. During the analysis process, they would indicate errors in the log. Unfortunately, I have yet to find software that can do that for Blu's
Old 06-24-2009, 11:42 AM

The only bad disc I've encountered was a copy of Patton that wouldn't load. When I took it out and checked it, I could see a small bubble on the outer edge - the protective coating was coming loose. As luck would have it, it was one of the few BDs I've bought at Best Buy (I usually buy online), so a quick exchange was easy.

I would say the only fail safe thing to do is make sure you play any purchases within the return window.
Old 06-24-2009, 11:47 AM

Hopefully this is something that isn't becoming more common as perhaps some cost cutting measures are being undertaken by distributors. Either cheaper materials or less QA in order to save money; bad either way for consumers if it is the case.
Old 06-24-2009, 11:54 AM

Isn't the Slysoft AnyDVD HD software supposed to read/backup Blu discs? That is the only one I am aware of.
Old 06-24-2009, 04:47 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

I know it sounds low but....
Get one of those off brand food sealers from Target, the one that uses regular make your own bags, practice a little bit, before long you can make perfect looking shrinkwraps. See where this is going? Buy a new one, exchange the disc, reshrink, return.

Another way to get a response - Complain to your AG's office.
Old 06-24-2009, 04:50 PM

Whoa....amazon replaces faulty discs? Geesh, I didn't know that. do you just mail back your old one and they send a new one?
Old 06-24-2009, 04:51 PM

That might be a problem if he doesn't have the security tape and any of the stickers that were on the shrink wrap.
Old 06-24-2009, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey0480 View Post
Whoa....amazon replaces faulty discs? Geesh, I didn't know that. do you just mail back your old one and they send a new one?
They send you a new one before you even get the chance to send it back, that's how fast amazon is!