'John Adams' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 06-23-2009, 12:31 PM

Default 'John Adams' - High-Def Digest Review

Nate has reviewed 'John Adams.' if you waited on the DVDs in anticipation of the Blu-rays, he says you're in for a treat. This set has strong video, showstopping audio, and a few good extras. Recommended.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/2185/johnadams.html
Old 06-23-2009, 12:52 PM

I want this. Here's hoping to see it in the gold box soon, or around 40 from online sellers.
Old 06-23-2009, 12:54 PM

i liked this mini series a lot.. I have it on DVD, not sure if i should re-buy
Old 06-23-2009, 01:03 PM

I blind bought this and loved it!

Nate, I thought Stephen Dillane stole the show, even from David Morse, as Thomas Jefferson.

I like the way he was introduced, as a silent thinker, lacking in oratory skills.
Spoiler
Then when Benjamin Franklin tells him what a great invention his swivel chair is, Jefferson lights up and tells him how it was made! I was rolling.

Morse as Washington was pretty killer, and Wilkinson was a freak as Benjamin Franklin.

I had one problem,
Spoiler
and it was a prosthetic application mistake towards the end when Adams is on his deathbed. There is an edge that didn't get fixed, and you can totally see where the line of the prosthetic is. That kind of took me out of it; I hated edges!
Old 06-23-2009, 01:58 PM

i thought this series was a bore, couldnt make it past the 3rd episode. Makes me wish they did another season of rome instead of this. Oh well, least we got the pacific band of brothers to look forward to
Old 06-23-2009, 02:48 PM

Watched it on HBO when it was first aired and loved it but im not sure if I would revisit it. I think ill pick up Genration Kill first and just keep an eye out for this when it goes on sale.
Old 06-23-2009, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakwurst View Post
i thought this series was a bore, couldnt make it past the 3rd episode. Makes me wish they did another season of rome instead of this. Oh well, least we got the pacific band of brothers to look forward to
I wish they still made Rome, how I miss that so much. It was an epic series that didn't live long. Looking forward too seeing Rome go blu, I'm buying that day one.
Old 06-24-2009, 02:20 AM

I ordered John Adams while drinking a Sam Adams and it should be at my house by July 4th. Really looking forward to this one, I even held off buying the DVD with the hope that this would be available on Blu.
Old 06-24-2009, 03:37 AM

After watching Deadwood, Romeand Band of Brothers, I'm beginning to think that HBO are the Pixar of TV series producers. I'm getting this as soon as it's affordable, even if it may be one of their weaker efforts. I'm a sucker for well-made historical epics.
Old 06-27-2009, 05:43 PM

I have read the book by David McCullough twice and have not seen this series yet (I held off on renting the DVD set until the Blu-Ray set was released). I picked this up for a good price on Ebay and it arrived late last week and I just got back from being out of town. Cannot wait to watch this. If it is anything near as good as the book, I will be very happy.