'The Man with the Golden Gun' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 06-19-2009, 04:20 PM

Default 'The Man with the Golden Gun' - High-Def Digest Review

Josh has reviewed 'The Man with the Golden Gun.' He says this isn't Moore's worst Bond, but it ain't his best either. This Blu-ray has very good video and audio, and lots of great supplements. Fans will want to own this one.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/2167/mangoldengun.html
Old 06-19-2009, 04:34 PM

Default Moore's second is his best!

This movie is easily one of my favorite Bonds, likewise Moore is easily my favorite Bond. He made them all fun. The Blu-ray was a must-buy for me.

... I'm curious which Bond movie the reviewer thinks is Moore's best if not this one?
Old 06-19-2009, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekker4Life View Post
This movie is easily one of my favorite Bonds, likewise Moore is easily my favorite Bond. He made them all fun. The Blu-ray was a must-buy for me.

... I'm curious which Bond movie the reviewer thinks is Moore's best if not this one?
"... The actor wouldn't truly hit his stride until the next entry, 'The Spy Who Loved Me'..."

I'm guessing this one and I'd probably agree.
Old 06-19-2009, 05:06 PM

Decent Bond flick, but not the best in my opinion.
Old 06-19-2009, 05:29 PM

What's the deal with Josh's dislike of J.W. Pepper. I still think that character is hilarious. Maybe that's because I watched the movies when they came out and to someone watching them for the first time it may seem offensive.

This is a British production and I think the intention was to poke a little fun at Americans.
Old 06-19-2009, 05:29 PM

Very much like this flick - hoping the next box set is released soon.

Also, I agree about the Pepper character. I still find him funny, though I do agree that the slide-whistle gag detracts.
Old 06-19-2009, 07:06 PM

LOVED this movie. Roger Moore was NOT my favorite. Sean Connery by far was the best Connery. Anyways, Moore's best one was definitely The Spy Who Loved Me. That being said, Octopussy, Live And Let Die, For Your Eyes Only were decent Bond films.

I own the ultimate DVD collection, so I won't be buying any BD 007s until they come out with the third BD Ultimate Super Duper Really Final Edition Set LOL
Old 06-19-2009, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshZ
The film's theme song by Lulu has corny lyrics and isn't particularly memorable.
You know, I'm right with you on the majority of what you wrote in this review. But, while true that the song has corny lyrics, I don't see how you could say that it's not "particularly memorable". Any song with lyrics like, "He has a powerful weapon; he charges a million a shot!", and has crazy wah-wah horns in the background ....that's what I call A+ on "memorable" (for better or worse).

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamest View Post
What's the deal with Josh's dislike of J.W. Pepper. I still think that character is hilarious. Maybe that's because I watched the movies when they came out and to someone watching them for the first time it may seem offensive. ...
When I was very young and saw this in a theatrical rerun, and even some years later on TV or Laserdisc ... yeah, I was a big Pepper fan, too.

After several years not having seen the movie, JW Pepper is a surprisingly revolting creation. "Offensive" doesn't even begin to describe (and I'm white). Perhaps its years for me working in a multi-cultural environment; ... now watching JW Pepper is just a HUGE red thumb sticking-out in an otherwise acceptable, but not great Bond. Don't even get me started how nausiatingly racist that character plays (to me) in Live and Let Die now.
Old 06-20-2009, 01:05 AM

I disagree with the review, as this is Moore's second best Bond movie, with Live and Let Die being the only other truly good one. Granted, For Your Eyes Only is a decent movie, gets better with each viewing, but it is so dialog heavy with a bit of action that is not that exciting except for that one ski scene. The rest of them range from plain out terrible or just drag on and on.
Old 06-20-2009, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damonous View Post
You know, I'm right with you on the majority of what you wrote in this review. But, while true that the song has corny lyrics, I don't see how you could say that it's not "particularly memorable". Any song with lyrics like, "He has a powerful weapon; he charges a million a shot!", and has crazy wah-wah horns in the background ....that's what I call A+ on "memorable" (for better or worse).

When I was very young and saw this in a theatrical rerun, and even some years later on TV or Laserdisc ... yeah, I was a big Pepper fan, too.

After several years not having seen the movie, JW Pepper is a surprisingly revolting creation. "Offensive" doesn't even begin to describe (and I'm white). Perhaps its years for me working in a multi-cultural environment; ... now watching JW Pepper is just a HUGE red thumb sticking-out in an otherwise acceptable, but not great Bond. Don't even get me started how nausiatingly racist that character plays (to me) in Live and Let Die now.
Well I hope you know he wasn't the ONLY stereotype in Live and Let Die