'Valkyrie' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 06-19-2009, 12:16 AM

Default 'Valkyrie' - High-Def Digest Review

Tom Landy has reviewed 'Valkyrie.' He says the film tells an amazing story, but it somehow falls short of greatness. This Blu-ray looks great, and the sound is generally pretty strong, but the extras, the extras make this one recommended!

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/2203/valkyrie.html
Old 06-19-2009, 12:45 AM

My main gripe, though, is the way the accents were handled in the film. Pretty well all of the Germans sound British--all except for Stauffenberg of course who sounds American.

I love that you mentioned this. Because I've always thought this even with other films. Like why do all Romans, Greeks, or Spartans have British accents too in other movies?

Twitter: @AaronPeck
Old 06-19-2009, 01:00 AM

I saw this in the cinemas, i too felt odd about the accents, but otherwise i really enjoyed it (history nerd). I did feel somewhat moved by the end though.
Old 06-19-2009, 01:02 AM

I thought the movie was decent, mainly because the story being told was so compelling. I didn't really have a problem with the accents because I didn't think about them until reading reviews.
However, I have to say that the documentary accompanying the movie is outstanding and may compel me to buy the movie at some point. It definitely ranks among the best extras on any DVD or Blu-ray I've bought or rented.
Old 06-19-2009, 01:08 AM

This movie is excellent and definitely worth the price of the Blu-Ray.

I have to put my two cents in about the voices. Did NO ONE realize they start the movie out in German and then transition to English because they are making it as if you could understand German? What is so hard about it? It is no different than how Nordic was done in The 13th Warrior.
Old 06-19-2009, 01:12 AM

Quote:
This movie is excellent and definitely worth the price of the Blu-Ray.

I have to put my two cents in about the voices. Did NO ONE realize they start the movie out in German and then transition to English because they are making it as if you could understand German? What is so hard about it? It is no different than how Nordic was done in The 13th Warrior.
Did you read the review at all?

Quote:
What gives? I know some will argue the explanation that Cruise's narration was in German at the beginning and it slowly drifted into English, and I have no problems with this. What I have an issue with is consistency. Either tell everybody to sound British--or everyone to sound American--but let's not mix and match especially on historical projects
Old 06-19-2009, 01:20 AM

I don't understand the argument about the accents, either. You're watching a film. It's not real life. It seems some people are willing to suspend their disbelief for some things, but not for others.

Let me put it this way: If Cruise, or any of the other fine actors in the film for that matter, were forced to speak in German, do you think that the performances would have been as good? Would you rather Cruise focus on his German pronounciation?

If they had the actors speak German, I'm sure there'd be complaints about that. It's an American-made film for (mostly) an American audience. If they had used subtitles, many people would have refused to watch it.

I'm a WWII history buff, and I wasn't expecting much from a film like this. We know the outcome. The fact that they were able to maintain suspense and move the story along at a terrific pace speaks volumes.

I thought it was a great film. I wanted to dislike Cruise in the role, but I thought he did a fine job.
Old 06-19-2009, 03:25 AM

Has it really taken a month for this to be reviewed here?
Old 06-19-2009, 03:57 AM

Nice review, thanks!

Quote:
He definitely looks the part (when compared to images of the real Stauffenberg), but he felt wooden and almost uncomfortable in the role to me.
Really? Von Stauffenberg was tall....

About the accents: this should have been a German movie anyway, like the excellent Downfall. It's a mystery to me why the German film industry was seemingly incapable of turning this important subject into a movie; there even is a descendant of Stauffenberg's who's an actor and his spitting image, fer cryin' out loud. So now we have an American film intended primarily for American audiences, which is by no means a bad thing, but I guess the problem of accents couldn't be avoided. What should they have done, have everybody use an American accent? Not everybody can do one as well as Hugh Laurie. Heck, at least they didn't have anybody talk like a Queenslander!
Old 06-19-2009, 10:11 AM
Formerly weaponX6282

I netflixed this last week. I found it very meh..... It something that I could watch once and probably have no real replay value. The picture was fine and the sound was fine as well. I didn't care about the accents because it obviously is a movie meant for entertainment. It's by no means a truly historical reenactment so the fact that most of the characters had british accents didn't affect me at all. It's a solid rental.