'Woodstock: 3 Days of Peace & Music' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 06-17-2009, 07:58 PM

Default 'Woodstock: 3 Days of Peace & Music' - High-Def Digest Review

Please welcome Jeff Shannon to High-Def Digest! I've highlighted Jeff's *EXTENSIVE* professional background in my introduction to the review. Let's just say we couldn't be more thrilled to have him reviewing for HDD!

Jeff has turned in a fantastic review of the 'Woodstock' Blu-ray, which he says will be the definitive home-video version of this film for many years to come. This Blu-ray has excellent video, extremely impressive audio, and tons of special features and exclusives. In short, this is a must own!

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/1383/woodstock.html
Old 06-17-2009, 08:27 PM

Welcome aboard Jeff! Great review.

Twitter: @AaronPeck
Old 06-17-2009, 08:31 PM

Welcome Jeff, and fantastic review!
Old 06-17-2009, 08:32 PM

Welcome aboard. Nice review. Interesting and lucky for you that the first thing you get to review is 5 star quality in terms of the movie itself. Here's to hoping everything doesn't get perfect ratings. I am sensing a 5 star rating for Over the Top when it's released in September.

Joke.

Anywho, I read somewhere that wal-mart has this in an edition that doesn't have the exclusive bonus stuff and as a result is cheaper. Any truth to this? I think I read it somewhere on this forum, but I didn't see it on walmart.com.
Old 06-17-2009, 09:12 PM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisher & Sons View Post
Welcome aboard. Nice review. Interesting and lucky for you that the first thing you get to review is 5 star quality in terms of the movie itself. Here's to hoping everything doesn't get perfect ratings. I am sensing a 5 star rating for Over the Top when it's released in September.

Joke.

Anywho, I read somewhere that wal-mart has this in an edition that doesn't have the exclusive bonus stuff and as a result is cheaper. Any truth to this? I think I read it somewhere on this forum, but I didn't see it on walmart.com.
over the top gets a 6 in september. get it right
Old 06-17-2009, 09:20 PM

Not to sound like a dick but as someone who knows how legendary the original "Woodstock" is I'm wondering why the concert performances aren't just shy, minutewise, of how long the festival is.
I mean there still have to be a LOT of Woodstock bands not included if you take into account the length of the film and include the extra's as well. All of this being said I consider it very regrettable. Or even all of that film being scrapped. I hope one day we'll see like a 10 disc BR set or something.
Old 06-17-2009, 09:27 PM

great review!
btw: for those people interested--when the footage starts of the Dead performing "Lovelight" you soon see some unknown person tripping on stage and ranting into the microphone for parts of the ENTIRE song.
who is this person?
he's not a band member ok.
what happened was that the Dead's performance was completely messed up by the condition at the festival--including various electric shocks during the actual performance. After a brief opening 2 songs that weren't even complete (St.Stephen>Mama Tried), there was a complete break while they tried valiantly to fix the problems plaguing the equipment.
A mic was turned on for various announcements from the stage during this time.
They started back up with "Dark Star>High Time."
After those two songs, they began to play the closing "Lovelight", with the then lead vocalist Pigpen singing.
the footage does not show the beginning of the song.
the entire performance was actually just over 45 minutes.
so the song has already been going a number of minutes when the footage that is shown on disc 2 begins.
shortly after the footage begins we see a random hippie from the crowd begin to speak into the mic that was accidently left on.
Amazingly, the Dead don't seem to care, and they never made any attempt to stop this strange tripping interloper.
so it ended up being a very unique performance of this song to say the least.
so that's the story of the final song in what is universally regarded as the WORST set the DEAD ever played.
I have listened to 100's of shows, and must agree.
I don't even think there is one other show that is close to being only 5 songs long.
unfortunate to say the least, and the reason why until now the Dead's performance has been never been officially released.
Old 06-18-2009, 02:51 AM

I havent seen the movie on Blu but here's my review of it. 1080P 40 year old bush
Old 06-18-2009, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Teeth View Post
I havent seen the movie on Blu but here's my review of it. 1080P 40 year old bush
BWAHAHAHAHA!
Old 06-18-2009, 03:40 AM

Welcome Mr. Shannon!

First off, I loved the woodstock collection. Seems silly to some, but I had to have the ticket. Otherwise I would have been content getting the WALMART version with no extra three bonus songs or extra three documentaries. So in answer to above, yes the walmart is just the two discs with no extra docs or three performances that amazon and target seem to differ in offerings.

Second, on bd-live... the only thing I can recommend to any of the companies (to lead in bd-live) is offer more video of something. I would love to see more performances for woodstock. Even if it wasn't HD, more downloadable(I keep on memory card) video is a winner. More video for your buck. Transformers and Tropic Thunder have extra cool videos, however, would like to be able to download that stuff on my machine instead of stream and not keep on card.

This is a definite rewatchable blu-ray set. Glad it came out, I didn't see it coming.

Last edited by HDM-GHANDI; 06-20-2009 at 03:16 AM. Reason: fixing incorrect info