Star Trek: TNG - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 06-17-2009, 02:10 PM

Default Star Trek: TNG

Has anyone heard anything at all about this being released on blu ray? I've read different things on different forums. However, our forum seems to be one of the more reputable ones. Also any dates heard on a release of The Original Series Season 2?
Old 06-17-2009, 02:47 PM

Given the appalling picture quality of STNG (especially in the early seasons), it wouldn't surprise me if it NEVER arrives on Blu. Unless, of course, Paramount decide there's some extra blood to squeeze from the Picard stone. That said, it's never going to look THAT good. I'd stick with the upscaled DVD.
Old 06-17-2009, 02:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casca View Post
That said, it's never going to look THAT good.
Considering it was originally photographed on actual film and the FX could be redone TOS-style, why couldn't it?
Old 06-17-2009, 02:59 PM

Yeah but it was completely edited and mastered in HD... Assuming they have all the film elements then each episode would need to be re-edited/mastered completely from scratch. It's not impossible, I hope they do it but I wouldnt' be supprised if they don't. I suspect gigantic returns on TOS S1, TMP Collection & Abrams Trek (forgone conclusion on the last one given box office performance) will be what pushes this over the hump.

I personally would buy TNG the complete series remasted as described on bluray for a slightly higher price if it meant getting a product of TOS S1's quality. Fortunetly I wouldn't have to do much convicning of my GF, she's a TNG finatic so she'd actually be looking for any means to buy it.
Old 06-17-2009, 03:07 PM

This has been covered time and again on this forum and I'd be repeating myself anyway, so I'll just quote something I wrote a while ago in another thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super-VHS
TNG will most likely never see the light of day of blu-ray. Every episode from every season needs to be completely redone which would take far too much time and money to make a product even remotely profitable.

To clarify..... unlike TOS which was shot and edited on film, TNG was shot on film and then edited on SD videotape. Except for the raw camera footage everything was created in the SD realm. The visual effects (which are numerous) are 480i only. The editing together of scenes was done on SD video. Everything other than the raw footage itself is SD NTSC VIDEO.

TNG would need to be re-edited, effects would need to be rerendered, the entire show would need to be redone for HD from the original camera negatives. And that means that every strip of film from every episode from the entire series would need to still exist (which I doubt still do).

TNG on BD won't happen for a very, very, very long time..... if ever.
It just doesn't seem feasible to me.

I could however see Paramount doing a "Fan Favorites" release with a handful of episodes redone. And if that sells extremely well, and costs come down, the rest of the series could follow assuming the have the material to do so.
Old 06-17-2009, 03:21 PM

Super-VHS. I actually ready something you had posted on another forum I believe. I was just trying to make sure before I went out and bought something on SD DVD like TNG. However, I will say on something as old as Jaws 2, I couldn't tell hardly any difference in the upscaled version vs SD.
Old 06-17-2009, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super-VHS View Post
This has been covered time and again on this forum and I'd be repeating myself anyway, so I'll just quote something I wrote a while ago in another thread:

It just doesn't seem feasible to me.

I could however see Paramount doing a "Fan Favorites" release with a handful of episodes redone. And if that sells extremely well, and costs come down, the rest of the series could follow assuming the have the material to do so.
If the reboot translates into extreamly strong sales for older releases (which there is some evidence this is the case), then that will make Paramount traveling down this path all that much more likely.
Old 06-17-2009, 03:53 PM

season 2=september
Old 06-17-2009, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazzeto
If the reboot translates into extreamly strong sales for older releases (which there is some evidence this is the case), then that will make Paramount traveling down this path all that much more likely.
That's true..... to a point.

The heads at Paramount are mostly definitely going to be looking at sales numbers on the franchise on blu-ray and DVD. And we may one day get TNG in high def....

But, in I all likelihood TNG just won't be redone. Could it be? Certainly. But there is more of a chance of Next Gen being stuck in SD for a good long time.

And, even if sales were strong, TNG interest is even stronger (and that remains key, as if there is only interest in TOS or the new movies or just the films in general, no one is going to care about redoing the 20 year old TV series that doesn't seem as popular)., the project then has to be put into action. It's not like one day they can go.... Oh, here, lets redo TNG for high definition and be done with it in a few weeks.

The reality of the situation is that the remastering, editing and rendering will take months and years to complete for all 7 seasons. And a shit-ton of cash will be spent. So, even if the series has strong sales, an even stronger interest and the go-ahead has been given, there's no telling when they'll be available or how much these things would cost.

Zach, you could be looking at $300 a season on BD (the entire series on DVD is about that much), the first of which might not be available for 4 or 5 years.

Would you really wait that long and pay that much? I wouldn't. Not if I really wanted the series for the content and not just to have another HD title in my collection. I'd spend the $300 now and enjoy the series many times over for the next few years and then, if or when the series gets released in HD, I might consider it sometime down the road when it gets a bit cheaper.

And Season 2 of TOS will be coming out in mid to late September.
Old 06-17-2009, 04:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super-VHS View Post
Would you really wait that long and pay that much? I wouldn't. Not if I really wanted the series for the content and not just to have another HD title in my collection. I'd spend the $300 now and enjoy the series many times over for the next few years and then, if or when the series gets released in HD, I might consider it sometime down the road when it gets a bit cheaper.
Now, that I can agree with (though I haven't convinced myself to buy DS9, VOYAGER or ENTERPRISE yet just under the unrealistic hope that, any day now, there'll be a wonderful HD announcement...)!