Father's Day Blu-ray Suggestions - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 06-17-2009, 10:18 AM

Default Father's Day Blu-ray Suggestions

Okay, I'm finally getting around to doing some Father's Day shopping and he has a new blu-ray player from Christmas, but only a couple of blu-ray. Does anybody have any suggestions on some 'must own' movies that look especially great on blu-ray? Think action or maybe documentary. Thanks.
Old 06-17-2009, 10:30 AM

star trek, motion picture collection
star trek, tos s1
godfather collection
i am legend is great
2001: space oddesy
personally i'm a fan of sky captine and the world of tomorrow
band of brothers
heroes s1, s2
rockey (collection?)
ghostbusters looks great in hd, not sure if thats a must have
iron man
tdk
underworld series is fun
I could really go on
Old 06-17-2009, 10:44 AM

Are there any actors you know he likes? There area lot of great catalog titles that tend to blow Dad's away when they see them in high def for the first time.....
Old 06-17-2009, 10:55 AM

Oh yeah:
bond: thunderball
bond: from russia with love, well any connary bond
Casion Royal
Quantom of Solace
personally I loved Die another Day
Old 06-17-2009, 10:59 AM

He likes Denzel Washington and Bruce Willis, all the typical action guys. I was looking at the Star Trek Motion picture collection, but wasn't sure if it was worth getting on blu-ray. There are movies like "Iron Man" for instance where I can totally see that it's worth it because of how everything just pops out at you and then others, I can't tell as much difference on. He's an ex-producer so he is super aware of production quality and kind of picky about which things he gets on blu-ray. Someone at work told me "Fifth Element" was a good one to own on blu-ray for special effects. Never seen the movie though so I have no idea.
Old 06-17-2009, 11:02 AM

Okay, you're the second one to say "Star Trek Collection" so maybe I have to give in and get that that one. I had just written someone else that it was $62.99 at FamilyVideo.com, but has anyone seen it anywhere else cheaper?
Old 06-17-2009, 11:03 AM

Rest assured, you get a gigantic improvement in quality over the DVD's... I'd suggest renting a BD and giving a shot. The older cataloge stuff I suggested by and large is all very impressive. I guess Star Trek TMPC is the most problematic with some of the film processing many of the films received (though again, huge upgrade over dvd)... TOS S1 was just jaw dropping good (and unprocessed), same can be said for the bonds.
Old 06-17-2009, 11:08 AM

Thanks. We've tended to just buy a couple of the newer movies on blu-ray. We have a very small library so far. So it's good to hear that the catalog stuff actually is worth it. I also want to get one of those documentaries like "Planet Earth" or "When We Left Earth" because I bet those are awesome on blu-ray.
Old 06-17-2009, 11:15 AM

yeah, those are well worth it as well... Just a warning, don't buy individual discs of those documenteries... Discovery has a bad habbit of only offering a single disc from the set as a stand alone. If you want the entier set you end up having to buy the entire set anyway, I'm stuck in that position right now with when we left earth
Old 06-17-2009, 11:18 AM

Got it. I'm actually looking at it right now on Amazon to see price, but I'll probably buy it in a store so I have it in time. It looks like the 4-disc set is about $35.