'Inkheart' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 06-17-2009, 02:28 AM

Default 'Inkheart' - High-Def Digest Review

Drew has reviewed 'Inkheart.' He says it may be worth a rental if you fit a very specific demographic (Babysittin', Fraser-lustin', booklovin' fan-folks). Other than that, this one is a wee bit skippable. This Blu-ray, like the film, is a mixed bag. Continue to the review dear readers...

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/2294/inkheart.html
Old 06-17-2009, 04:16 AM

I'll be steering well clear of this one, but I have to say I can't help but like Brendan Fraser. He's not such a bad actor (watch 'The Quiet American') and he's just... a really nice guy, I guess.

PS: Oh, and 'FIRST' for the first time. :-)

Last edited by zaphod; 06-17-2009 at 04:57 AM.
Old 06-17-2009, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod View Post
He's not such a bad actor
He's a rather good actor. Not many actors are constantly given terrible dialog and are capable of selling it. Basically, he can take some of the worst dialog and make it not sound that bad.

Any game that features paid loot boxes should be rated AO.
Old 06-17-2009, 06:29 AM

I haven't seen INKHEART, and like you I'm wary of studios trying to catch lightning in bottle - and failing. 'The Golden Compass' is probably the best example of this although, oddly enough, Pullman's Trilogy is the closest to Harry Potter in terms of its literary credientials and successes. The UK National Theatre production was extraordinary, for example, and proves that the material works both narratively and in terms of character and spectacle. The movie just failed in almost every area.
Interestingly, 'VOYAGE OF THE DAWN TREADER' (part 3 of the Narnia series) will certainly go into production after Ben Barnes finishes his current movie 'Valediction' in Boston (with Eliza Dushku), so Disney haven't 'pulled out' as you say in the review, even though Caspian wasn't a huge domestic success. These movies did perform internationally, sold very well on DVD/BD and are perfect television fare and command high broadcast prices (and will do so over multiple cycles).
As for Brendan Fraser, I saw him as Brick in 'Cat on a Hot Tin Roof' in London, and he was terrific. The guy can act, and has a terrific physical presence. I suppose he's just very comfortable playing against green screen - and, let's face it, the money's always good for that kind of thing.
Old 06-17-2009, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twonunpackmule View Post
He's a rather good actor. Not many actors are constantly given terrible dialog and are capable of selling it. Basically, he can take some of the worst dialog and make it not sound that bad.
You're right. Plus I think he has genuine talent as a comedian. At least I thought he was pretty funny in the first Mummy.
Old 06-17-2009, 09:30 AM

I haven't read the review yet, but I have seen the movie. In my opinion this has enough going for it to make a decent rental, but definitely not a purchase. Too many other titles out there that would rather warrant a purchase.
Old 06-17-2009, 11:38 AM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casca View Post
Interestingly, 'VOYAGE OF THE DAWN TREADER' (part 3 of the Narnia series) will certainly go into production after Ben Barnes finishes his current movie 'Valediction' in Boston (with Eliza Dushku), so Disney haven't 'pulled out' as you say in the review, even though Caspian wasn't a huge domestic success.
perhaps you don't read the news much.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0980970/companycredits

FOX. Disney pulled out like it were a cheap form of contraceptive.
Old 06-17-2009, 12:17 PM

Pass for me on this movie.
Old 06-23-2009, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by project-blu View Post
FOX. Disney pulled out like it were a cheap form of contraceptive.
and you can take one look at my paycheck to see why that is not a good "form of contraceptive"
Old 06-26-2009, 12:52 AM

Default Inkheart Support

Inkheart is alright. I enjoyed the low key and mundane paced fantasy. It's not an overly CGI heavy production and has a good cast. All the reviews that are hung up about Harry Potterish programming and Fraser's descent into green screen; suffer in that.

Once at a party, Henry Winkler lamented to Charles Bronson about being typecast. Bronson reminded him to be glad to have something, where many don't.

Last edited by Nazdar; 06-26-2009 at 01:32 AM. Reason: edit