Has this been the most disappointing HD month ever? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 06-16-2009, 07:10 PM
Banned

Default Has this been the most disappointing HD month ever?

Consider the following:

1. AIR FORCE ONE is released on BD without the trailer found on the DVD.
2. GLORY is released on BD without the trailers found on the DVD. Additionally, the trailer for THE TAKING OF PELHAM 123, an obvious tie-in as another Denzel Washington film, is also not included; given Sony's track record, it won't be on the actual PELHAM BD release later this year, either.
3. BRUCE ALMIGHTY is released on BD without the trailer found on the DVD.
4. EDDIE MURPHY: DELIRIOUS: 25th Anniversary Edition is released on DVD with an SRP of around a whopping $30 with a bizarre, juddery transfer that is an obvious step down from the smooth, accurate transfer done for the original barebones edition. [Okay, this isn't HD related, but it's another pisser in a month of pissers]
5. THE GRADUATE is released as a MPEG2 BD-25 with all bonus features accounted for on an included copy of the SD-DVD that most fans would have already purchased before.
6. PREDATOR 2 is released with several featurettes from the DVD missing. [EDIT: Turns out the "missing" featurettes are still there, tucked away in something called the Promotional Gallery. I got bad online info about this title initially.]
7. THE SIEGE is released barebones, without a single bonus feature from the recent Martial Law SD-DVD.
8. DR. STRANGELOVE is released without the trailer, advertising gallery and Roger Ebert essay from the 40th Anniversary Edition DVD, not to mention it is also given butt-fugly cover art instead of the far superior key art found on the aforementioned DVD.
9. GHOSTBUSTERS is released without the Don Shay production notes text track, the production photos, the conceptual artwork, the storyboard/script sequences and the trailer all featured on the 1999 SD-DVD.
10. DO THE RIGHT THING is released without the Spike Lee video introductions, the "Back to Bed-Stuy" featurette [EDIT: turns out this has been included, after all] and the Public Enemy "Fight the Power" music video. Also, the color timing is arguably faulty.

I don't know about you but there hasn't been a BD release I've been interested in this month that hasn't been compromised or marginalized in some manner. It's making it hard to really feel the excitement about the format I've felt in the past (when, say, a BLADE RUNNER, CLOSE ENCOUNTERS or PLANET OF THE APES came along); also, it's keeping my collection too physically fat, as well as expensive, because I can't sell off my old DVDs with exclusive extras to pay for the new BDs. Am I alone in my frustration that HD media seems to be progressively two-steps forward, one step back?

Last edited by Filmmaker; 06-25-2009 at 05:35 PM.
Old 06-16-2009, 07:20 PM

Licensing rights, they are a bitch.
Old 06-16-2009, 07:33 PM

Re: Strangelove. That cover is the original poster. Can't agree with you on that one, but the rest are ultra-annoying. It's like buying an upgrade of a car, only the new one doesn't have a glove compartment. Or something...
Old 06-16-2009, 07:36 PM

whisper, you're wrong about that being the original poster.

But your wrong is about a million times less wrong than the original post's. This month has so many awesome releases, that it's just sad that a person can find a way to complain about it.
Old 06-16-2009, 07:42 PM

This may be one of the best months we have ever had on blu-ray.
Old 06-16-2009, 07:55 PM

Certainly not the worst HD month ever.

In any sense.

There have been far worse months, particularly a few years ago when it was possible to go weeks without a single, solid or worthwhile disc (oh, the dark days of 2006).

This tuesday alone has some awesome stuff. A Criterion title. Two amazing TV mini-series. The first two seasons of LOST. A Kubrick film. And Ghostbusters.
Old 06-16-2009, 07:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super-VHS View Post
There have been far worse months, particularly a few years ago when it was possible to go weeks without a single, solid or worthwhile disc (oh, the dark days of 2006).
Well, duh, but "Has this been the most disappointing HD month ever for a month that actually had BD releases?" was too cumbersome of a title...
Old 06-16-2009, 08:00 PM
Always SpartanJohnson

There are some pretty good new and catalog releases this month. I feel like a couple of months ago was worse.
Old 06-16-2009, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super-VHS View Post
Certainly not the worst HD month ever.

In any sense.

This tuesday alone has some awesome stuff. A Criterion title. Two amazing TV mini-series. The first two seasons of LOST. A Kubrick film. And Ghostbusters.
And it's not just any Criterion, it's The Seventh Seal, easily one of the best movies ever.
Old 06-16-2009, 08:20 PM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nut Bunnies View Post
And it's not just any Criterion, it's The Seventh Seal, easily one of the best movies ever.
scary, me and you agree on something.

This is a great month for BD, but a bad month for cinema completists who want all their features ported over. waahmbulance, party of 1, waahmbulance, party of 1. with all the GREAT freakin' titles hitting this month, to call it like this is just splitting hairs. it's supplements. the world won't end if we lose a tiny little trailer here and there.