Blu-ray 'Battlestar Galactica' Single Season Sets in August - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 06-14-2009, 03:15 AM

Default Blu-ray 'Battlestar Galactica' Single Season Sets in August

Good news from thehdroom:
Quote:
Universal's Battlestar Galactica Blu-ray Disc plans are more robust than any of us anticipated. As it turns out, the Complete Series collection is not the only set in the pipeline.

Online retailer Amazon.com has added active pre-order listings for all four seasons of Battlestar Galactica on Blu-ray Disc with an August 4 release date. That is only one week after the Complete Series set bows.

The single seasons sets are listed as One, Two, Three and Four. We do not know if Four also includes 4.5 which is already confirmed for a Blu-ray release on July 28. Since each of the four seasons share an identical $111.98 SRP, the logical assumption is the Four release does in fact include 4.5. Also unknown is whether Razor is included in either the Three or Four set.

The appearance of these sets at this time is odd but not completely out of the ordinary. All the discs were already created for the Complete Series so Universal's work to release them individually is minimal.

Assuming Four includes 4.5 as well, it would cost someone $313.96 to purchase every season individually whereas the Complete Series sells for $236.99. Who might these seasons be for then? There are thousands of BSG fans out there who own one or more seasons on DVD and might want to fill their gaps with the Blu-ray versions rather than spending extra dollars to upgrade the entire series to high definition.

I hope to gather more information on these Battlestar Galactica Blu-ray sets and the possibility of The Plan coming to Blu-ray in the near future. Stay tuned.
Old 06-14-2009, 11:56 AM

But it states the individual seasons are imports. They'll still be available for purchase from Amazon, but that may be the only place to get them for those in the U.S. for the time being.
Old 06-14-2009, 12:04 PM
Former Member

yep, saw this a couple days ago on amazon, when they listed a fairly big pile of imports.

they've listed imports that were region b before, and had to remove the listings (Miss Potter AU, for example), so just because it was listed don't mean it's region free.

until region coding is known, this is somewhat of a nothing, especially considering the entire series is hitting. i mean, it's not like we're only getting the newest season, making this the only way to get the entire series. additionally, the article admits they don't know a thing about the releases, so it's just a news story based off of an amazon listing, not exactly the best source out there. all conjecture and guessing.
Old 07-27-2009, 01:19 PM

Well for those who may not know, BSG is being released in individual seasons in Australia. The cheapest I've seen online is about $70 (US) per season + shipping. Conflicting reports on region coding though as one sites says region free and another region B.
Old 07-27-2009, 01:33 PM

Sucks they're not available to us in the US... More cost effective in the long run just to buy the complete series, but the up front cost can be rather the hard pill to swollow. Hopefully they'll be available soon.
Old 07-27-2009, 03:33 PM

I'm pretty broke, so I think I'll try to get the Season 4.5 BD set for $33 on deepdiscount.com with the 25% promo (assuming they don't jack the price). That'd give me season one in HD (HD DVD set), 2-4.0 on DVD and 4.5 in HD. Will tide me over until the whole set hits rock bottom.
Old 07-27-2009, 03:41 PM

Damn, thanks for pointing that out phil... I think I'll join you on 4.5... I don't have all the others on DVD yet, but I'll start picking them up on blu as I can afford them... $200+ is too much for me to be able to afford any time soon